Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 4 Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I successfully installed my LaserJet 4 Plus on my computer running Windows 10 using a parallel>USB adapter.  I am able to print just fine from this machine.

However, although I was able to share the printer, then successfully find & install it on the other computer on the network, when I go to print the document will either never appear in the print queue or it will appear briefly, disappear, and never print (it is consistent only in that it will not print).  This is also the case for test prints right from the print manager. I do not ever see any errors and Windows Troubleshooter finds no issues.  This computer is also running Windows 10. 

I deleted and reinstalled the printer on Computer B.

I started and stopped the print spooler in services on Computer B.

I restarted the computer, I restarted the printer.

I'm out of ideas and obviously since it is a very old printer there is not a lot of information online for troubleshooting it in Windows 10.  I'm guessing it is either a driver or a network issue since the printer works just find for local print but I don't know what else to try.

This is a wired LAN.  My router does not have a USB port to try plugging the printer in direct (although not sure that would work either with a printer this age)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The best option for this printer would have been to purchase a parallel to Ethernet print server. Startech and Tp link both make them. Then the printer is connected to the network directly and each computer prints direct, eliminating issue around local sharing a device and also ensuring that the printer is available, even when one of the computers is turned off.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The best option for this printer would have been to purchase a parallel to Ethernet print server. Startech and Tp link both make them. Then the printer is connected to the network directly and each computer prints direct, eliminating issue around local sharing a device and also ensuring that the printer is available, even when one of the computers is turned off.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks!  It's not too late to try one if that will solve the issue.  Do I need to be selective about the type of print server given the age of the printer?

HP Recommended

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-PS110P-parallel-ethernet-Internet/dp/B003CFATR4

We use these at work, we had some initial hiccups but have been pretty solid for about 5 years on old Okidata dot matrix printers.

HP Recommended

Thank you!  Will give it a go.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.