Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M479fdn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Just purchased a brand new HP MFP M479fdn laser printer 27 days ago. Used maybe 9 times to print a total of 120 pages (all black & white and about 3 color pages).

Today the printer will not print anything not even a text document (no color).

Getting the following error:

Cartridge Memory Error, Event Code: 10.01.11

1. Removed the Cyan cartridge that is getting the memory error

2. Re-installed the same Cyan cartridge

3. Powered the printer on and off

4. Checked for firmware updates, printer has latest firmware

5. Unplugged printer, plugged back in

6. Removed and re-install all cartridges

7. I am still unable to print

Got on the phone with HP Support and they said the Cyan cartridge is empty I need to go buy a new one.

Here are my questions:

1. If the cartridge is empty shouldn't the error message say "Empty cartridge, replace it."

2. Does laserjet stop printing even if one of the 3 color cartridges is empty?

3. Shouldn't I still be able to print a non-color document?

My last HP laserjet would continue to allow printing in black even if the color cartridges were empty. Not allowing printing to occur with the remaining ink especially when there's enough black ink is a very strange feature, I would hope that with the next firmware update HP can remove this feature.

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

According to the troubleshooting documents supplied to me as an HP service partner this error indicates either an empty cartridge or failed cartridge. The listed steps are to have client remove and replace cartridge and if that does not resolve the issue then they are supposed to ship you a replacement cartridge. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

According to the troubleshooting documents supplied to me as an HP service partner this error indicates either an empty cartridge or failed cartridge. The listed steps are to have client remove and replace cartridge and if that does not resolve the issue then they are supposed to ship you a replacement cartridge. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the instructions.

Buying a new Cyan cartridge fixed the problem.

I just wish HP would make the following two changes:

1. Provide better error messages, the error should have said "Cyan cartridge is empty, please replace it."

2. Still allow me to print documents in black even though the Cyan was finished. I can't believe the printer just stops working if one of the 4 cartridges goes empty. None of my previous 3 HP printers had this limitation.

thanks!

HP Recommended

@k2019

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I also purchased a 479fdw 6 months ago and now have the same issue with the Cyan cartridge today.  Printer worked fine this morning.  Although no bumping the printer, changing of cartridges, or power spikes in the interim, I suddenly received the same error this afternoon.  I followed all the same steps in the original post and the contacts inside the printer for communicating with the Cyan cartridge appear the same as those for the other working cartridges (not bent out of shape, etc.).  

The print function is normally used infrequently and the cartridges barely used.  The Magenta and Yellow cartridges have only been used for 103 pages to date (so I assume the same for the Cyan cartridge that stopped communicating) and they have over 950 pages remaining according to the supply status screen.  While I know that replacing the Cyan cartridge is likely the next step, they are very expensive and I have no desire to pay for another cartridge that should have 950+ pages remaining ...and a new Cyan cartridge may suffer the same error in the future. Given the strong reviews of the older 477 model, I chose the brand new 479 printer model expecting similar reliability.  Is there anything else I can try?  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

(...and if it matters, I also vote for the functionality mentioned in the original post for the printer to be able to print in Black - assuming the Black toner cartridge is working - even if the other color cartridges are empty or not communicating. Thanks again.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.