Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 1217nfw MFW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Laserjet 1217 nfw MFW printer and I am trying to download the driver onto my new windows 10 computer.  I'm downloading the correct driver from the hp site.  It downloads, extracts when I double click it.. and then nothing.  I've tried this several times.  My computer cannot detect the printer. It is only listed in my printers and scanners settings, where it says "driver is unavailable".

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Try a complete shutdown and reboot of the computer and try it again.

HP Recommended

Doesn't help.  Same thing happens; it shows the extracting bar and once it completes nothing happens.  Printer still says driver is unavailable.

HP Recommended

what port does it show up on? If a WSD port it could be an issue. Windows 10 has a habit of hijacking ports with a windows selected driver port . maybe try a different driver or a UPD (universal print driver).

HP Recommended

Hi,

For a USB connection please unplug the cable.

From Devices and Printers right-click the printer icon and select Remove Device.

Click the Start button and type %temp% into the search bar, then open the shown Temp folder.

Open the latest HP installation folder which begins with 7z (e.g. 7zs1234)
Double click HpSetup.exe, then follow the installation and check for any difference.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Try the instructions in this link:

[edit]

You can also go to this link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m1217nfw-multifunction-printer-seri...

click on, download and run the Utility-Diagnostic Tools program to see if it finds a problem.

HP Recommended

Looking in the temp files was exactly what I needed. For some reason, the computer would extract the file repeatedly, but never run the program. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.