Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Driver won't work for Laserjet 1217 nfw printer

LaserJet 1217nfw MFW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Laserjet 1217 nfw MFW printer and I am trying to download the driver onto my new windows 10 computer.  I'm downloading the correct driver from the hp site.  It downloads, extracts when I double click it.. and then nothing.  I've tried this several times.  My computer cannot detect the printer. It is only listed in my printers and scanners settings, where it says "driver is unavailable".

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 5
268 258 17 30
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try a complete shutdown and reboot of the computer and try it again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Doesn't help.  Same thing happens; it shows the extracting bar and once it completes nothing happens.  Printer still says driver is unavailable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
29 23 1 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

what port does it show up on? If a WSD port it could be an issue. Windows 10 has a habit of hijacking ports with a windows selected driver port . maybe try a different driver or a UPD (universal print driver).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
26,560 26,286 4,684 10,369
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

For a USB connection please unplug the cable.

From Devices and Printers right-click the printer icon and select Remove Device.

Click the Start button and type %temp% into the search bar, then open the shown Temp folder.

Open the latest HP installation folder which begins with 7z (e.g. 7zs1234)
Double click HpSetup.exe, then follow the installation and check for any difference.

Regards,
Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Highlighted
Level 5
268 258 17 30
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try the instructions in this link:

[edit]

You can also go to this link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m1217nfw-multifunction-printer-seri...

click on, download and run the Utility-Diagnostic Tools program to see if it finds a problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looking in the temp files was exactly what I needed. For some reason, the computer would extract the file repeatedly, but never run the program. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation