Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Duplex Printing on Color LaserJet 1312

Color LaserJet 1312
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to print a PDF file in manual duplex mode - the 2-step printing process. I've done it before, but no I can't fiknd an option to do that. I'm printing from a PDF document in Nuance Power PDF. I've explored every option from the attached screen to no avail.

duplex.jpg

How can I get to a duplex option?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,132 21,087 1,772 2,850
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@btreloar

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you are no longer able to use the two-sided printing option on your HP Laserjet,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you ensure the automatic discovery is enabled or installed to activate the duplex printing?

Have you checked with any other application?

While you reply to that, there's something you should know about the 'automatic discovery', this feature is used by some (Windows) drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to "Installed" rather than "Not installed".

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
btreloar
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks,  Riddle_Decipher. there is no duplex option on this printer.  (If one is available as an ad-on, do let me know and I'll order one. In the past when I selected duplex printing imprints all of the odd pages and has been then take them and place them in the the paper tray and have it print the even pages. Or maybe it's even/odd in the other direction.

Considering that, I have not tried to set duplex as "installed". How should I proceed at this point?

Beyond that, I need to confess that I don't know what "automatic discovery" is or where I would check it or said it. Can you be a little more specific?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@btreloar

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

The instructions apply and only appear to printers with duplex printing availability,

That said, you are right about this printer not being a part of the duplex feature: Click here to verify the product specifications.

HP doesn't offer any add-ons as such, I'm afraid we are at the end of the line here.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
btreloar
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

But wait! Until very recently I have been able to print on both sides manually! There would be an option for paper handling to say print on both sides manually. It would print the even numbered pages than a popup would appear telling me to take the printouts, put them back in the paper drawer, and click Continue to print the other side.

I've done that many, many times with this printer. My question is: Why don't I see that option anymore and how do I get it back?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@btreloar

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some (Windows) drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installing rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

let me know how that pans out,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
btreloar
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually that's not helpful. As recently as a few months ago I was able to print duplex manually. The printer would print the odd-numbered pages and an on-screen prompt would tell me to take the printerd pages, place them back in the paper tray and press OK.

My question is how do I get this functionality back as I'm not presented with any options to do this now.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation