Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser Jet CP2025
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and downloaded the latest driver for my printer. I can't find any setting for double sided printing. Is there something I'm missing. I tried downloading the toolbox but it won't run on a 64 bit machine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some (Windows) drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some (Windows) drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

HP Recommended

I tried this. All the settings say that it should work - but when I go to print, I still get an error message that the Automatic Two-Sided Printing Module is not installed on the device.

I have looked at nearly all of the Officejet J6480 duplex printing forum posts and nothing seems to be fixing the problem.

HP Recommended

@EGrover - you've hijacked this thread (about a LaserJet printer) to report a problem with your Inkjet device.

You'd perhaps get more response if you posted a new question in the appropriate forum.

Having said that (and it's a long shot), perhaps the Automatic Configuration is not set to Off in the Installable Options part of the Device Settings tab in the Printer properties dialogue for the printer instance in question?

Bear in mind that I don't have your printer or driver, so I don't even know if this is an option for your driver.

HP Recommended

Like the user asking the question, I also have an HP printer that no longer is able to print duplex since the "latest and greatest" (tongue-in-cheek) upgrade to Windows 10.  My HP 2055dn printer has the duplex feature installed.  But, now the automatic detection feature in Windows 10 only detects and uses a Universal Printing PCL6 or Universal Printing PS driver which don't have any options/tabs for "turning on" the duplex feature for double-sided printing.  So why doesn't HP continiue to support this printer with an upgraded driver?

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem and my laptop is a brand new HP Spectre.

HP Recommended

I ended up installing the generic P2050 Series PCL6 driver.   On the Device Settings tab of the Printer Properties dialogue it has the "Duplex Unit (for 2-sided printing)" installable option listed.   Then by selecting the Printing Defaults... button on the Advanced tab to bring up the Printing Defaults dialogue you will see the option (checkbox) to select "Print on both sides" on the Finishing tab.  Frustrating that the HP Universal PCL 6 and PS drivers don't have the option for duplex printing, but the P2050 Series driver seems to work fine.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much - this solution worked for me.

HP Recommended

Glad I could help with the 2055dn duplex printing problem.  Now if someone could just get the HP solutions Center to work with Windows 7/10.

HP Recommended

I installed v6.6.5 of the Universal PCL driver on my HP Colour Laser 2605.  Although everything in Properties was saying that I had Duplex printing installed, it just wouldn't print 2-sided.  I finally solved it by (a) changing Properties->Device Settings->Duplex Unit for 2-sided Printing to NOT installed (yes, really) and (b) selecting Properties->Advanced->Printing Defaults->Finishing->Print on Both Sides (Manually).

Also:  although it was saying that I had a colour printer, it wouldn't print in colour.  I had to do an auto configuration via Properties->Advanced->New Driver,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.