Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJetPro M201dw
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi, we have a brand new HP LaserJetPro M201dw printer. We set it up this morning, following the instructions as noted in the manual, yet the printer keeps flashing and saying 'Install black cartridge or clear jam'.

The printer has never been used so there is no jam, and the ink cartridge was brand new too and an official HP cartridge. The printer won't do anything, it won't print, I can't do a cleaning page, it just does not work. I've tried resetting it, have unplugged the power socket from the mains and put it back, and we have tried a second new ink cartidge, took it out several times and it still says 'install ink cartridge'. I cannot find a jam in the printer at all. I've tried following steps recommended to others who have had the same problem, but still no success.

The printer was successfully installed on my Windows Vista computer, but the same error message appears on my computer when I try to print directly from the computer.

I would be grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You probably have a shipping seal on something.  This is really a common thing now that HP ships the toner in the printers  Take out the tray, toner, open everything. Tip the machine up, look inside, etc.  Use a flashlight if you don't have broght lights in that room.

If it's blue or orange, it's a shipping lock.  It could be as simple as a piece of tape, a plastic clip or a (white) styrofoam block.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You probably have a shipping seal on something.  This is really a common thing now that HP ships the toner in the printers  Take out the tray, toner, open everything. Tip the machine up, look inside, etc.  Use a flashlight if you don't have broght lights in that room.

If it's blue or orange, it's a shipping lock.  It could be as simple as a piece of tape, a plastic clip or a (white) styrofoam block.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.