Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 5200 Printer series
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I am trying to print a PDF, something I have been managed successfuly on this printer (without problems) for several years.

Recently the printer has started refusing to print certain PDFs (not all), and I get the following message midway down a blank page:

ERROR:  limitcheck

OFFENDING COMMAND:  image

I believe this implies an out-of-memory situation -- but nothing has changed in the physical setup.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra)

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

That looks like either a PCL.XL error message or a PostScript message.

When it comes to printing PDFs there is one quick work around:

1. Open the PDF

2. Navigate to File > Print

3. Click on Advanced

4. Check the Print as Image checkbox (the default DPI is usually fine)

Using the Print as Image feature will alter how your printer recieves teh PDF print data as if it were a single image instead of a document with fonts and formatting that could be causing the error message. 

Otherwise you will need to experiment with updating or swapping your print driver lanugage. 

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Hmmm... I don't see an "advanced" option in the print dialogue box (I'm on Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra)

Could it be somewhere else?

Print Dialogue Box.png

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm using the new MacOS update (Mojave) and I'm having the same problem. It prints fine via wireless but prints this same error when the printer is connected via USB.

I also couldn't find that 'Advanced' button in the Print area.

Could it be a bad USB cable? Or something else?

HP Recommended

I had the same problem. Go into your printer set up and uninstall your printer then add it back. fixed it for me

HP Recommended

Same issue here. This just started today on my MAC 10.14 (Mojave) 

Trying to print my credit card statement (PDF File) which I have done before I get the error (maybe a hidden message there) 🙂 

I reinstalled printer drivers from HP.  And it still did not work. 

But I can print the PDF document on my PC using parallel on the same Mac. I can also print other PDF files fine on the MAC.  

HP Recommended

I have a Mac with Mohave as well. I had to going my printers setting on my Mac, uninstall my printer then reinstall it. That fixed the problem completely. You don’t need to reinstall the drivers or anything from HP.com

That’s what worked for me

HP Recommended

Hi, I had (have) the same problem. Reinstalling the printer driver didn't fix it, what worked was exporting the PDF to JPEG.

I also didn't find the 'Advanced' option.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with iMac/Mojave and Color LaserJetPro MFP M281 cdw. PDFs stopped printing. Instead I got a single printed sheet with error message "limitcheck". Uninstalled and re-installed the printer: System Preferences/Printers & Scanners; select your HP printer from the list at left and click the "minus" symbol below, then click the "plus" symbol. Hopefully your printer is in the list of found printers. Select it and choose "add". Print your doc. Hopefully it's a "voilà" moment.  (worked for me.)

HP Recommended

I had the exact same issue with printing pdfs, mine was occurring with wireless printing.   I followed others' suggestion to uninstall the printer. Reinstalling was easy, the printer was easily found when I initiated adding a printer (this was on Mac OS Mojave).  Solved the problem. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.