Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet 600 M602
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need assistance in regards to a corrupt firmware for my Laserjet 600 M602.  I have had problems printing and when I went to restart the printer, I received an 98.00.0C error.

Upon researching this, it appears that a data corruption occured in the firmware volume.

I have attempted several times to turn off the product, use the Clean Disk item in the PreBoot Menu and attempt to reload the firmware using a USB using the USB Thumbdrive.

When I attempt to use Clean disk, I get a "clean disk partition error"

When I attempt to upload a newer firmware version from the thumbdrive to the printer, it stalls on the reading partition at 0%, then displays an "unknown error".  I have tried at 4 different USB drives all with fat32 format.  Everytime, the menu on the USB Thumbdrive, is able to read the file, but it just fails to install.

I have never updated the firmware since I purchased the machine back in 2012.  I am unable to locate the original firmware ( Firmware Revision: 2131029_189665) to install.  I have tried both 2308214_000926 (most recent) and 2200643_228341 (2012)...nothing.

I do not know how to factory restart the M602 from the Preboot menu and I did not see any instructions otherwise.  I also do not know how to restore the original firmware from the backup partitiion...it is my understanding using the Clean Disk wipes out both the regular and backup partitions.

So at this stage, I just have a start-up issue that lages for about 10 minutes and produces the 98.00.0C error.

Any ideas of what the next step is without physically going into the machine and yanking out the hard drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi..

Please check when the printer turn on in standalone mode it same error occured please follow the below steps

1. Turn the product on.

2. When the Ready, Data, and Attention LEDs are illuminated solid, press the Stop button.

3. Scroll to Administration, and then press the OK button.

4. Scroll to Clean Disk, and then press the OK button.

5. Press the OK button again.

NOTE:When the Clean Disk operation is complete, you will need to reload the product

firmware.

After did the clean disk please restart the printer if printer showing different error like 99.XX.XX non bootable disk please update latest firmware.

Firmware link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL40883/lj-99516-15/ljM601_602_603_fw_2308214_000926.zip

Pre-Boot walk-up USB thumb drive: (control panel Pre-Boot menu) NOTE: Only to be used if the printer is not able to boot to READY After uncompressing the file you will see a xxxxxxx.bdl file.

1. Copy the xxxxxxx.bdl file to a portable USB flash memory storage device (thumb drive) in the root directory.

NOTE: USB Flash Drives that are not in a Fat32 format or having a CD formatted partition may not be recognized by the printer. You may need to try a different USB flash drive.

2. Turn the printer ON.

3. Press the Stop button when the Ready, Data and Attention LEDs illuminate solid.

4. Press the Down button to highlight Administrator, and then press OK.

5. Press the Down button to highlight Download, and then press OK.

6. Insert the portable USB storage device with the xxxxxxx.bdl file on it. NOTE: Please make sure the firmware file is located in the root directory of the flash drive. If you have more than one .bdl file on your USB flash drive, select the file you want loaded and press OK. Please be patient since this may take up to 10 minutes to reboot.

7. Press the Down button to highlight USB Thumbdrive, and then press OK.

8. Press the Down button to highlight the xxxxxxx.bdl file, and then press OK. NOTE: If you have more than one .bdl file on your USB Thumb drive, select the file you want loaded and press OK. Please be patient since this may take up to 10 minutes to reboot.

9. When the message Complete appears on the control panel display, press the Back button 3 times.

10. When the message Continue appears on the control panel display, press OK.

11. The printer will continue to boot to the Ready state.

Once the printer or MFP is back online, print a Configuration Page and verify that the new firmware has been installed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Looks like you need to replace the SSD hard disk. Replacement drive does not come with firmaware loaded so keep the usb with the latest versio since you will need to load once you install the new hard disk.

HP Recommended

Hi..

Please check when the printer turn on in standalone mode it same error occured please follow the below steps

1. Turn the product on.

2. When the Ready, Data, and Attention LEDs are illuminated solid, press the Stop button.

3. Scroll to Administration, and then press the OK button.

4. Scroll to Clean Disk, and then press the OK button.

5. Press the OK button again.

NOTE:When the Clean Disk operation is complete, you will need to reload the product

firmware.

After did the clean disk please restart the printer if printer showing different error like 99.XX.XX non bootable disk please update latest firmware.

Firmware link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL40883/lj-99516-15/ljM601_602_603_fw_2308214_000926.zip

Pre-Boot walk-up USB thumb drive: (control panel Pre-Boot menu) NOTE: Only to be used if the printer is not able to boot to READY After uncompressing the file you will see a xxxxxxx.bdl file.

1. Copy the xxxxxxx.bdl file to a portable USB flash memory storage device (thumb drive) in the root directory.

NOTE: USB Flash Drives that are not in a Fat32 format or having a CD formatted partition may not be recognized by the printer. You may need to try a different USB flash drive.

2. Turn the printer ON.

3. Press the Stop button when the Ready, Data and Attention LEDs illuminate solid.

4. Press the Down button to highlight Administrator, and then press OK.

5. Press the Down button to highlight Download, and then press OK.

6. Insert the portable USB storage device with the xxxxxxx.bdl file on it. NOTE: Please make sure the firmware file is located in the root directory of the flash drive. If you have more than one .bdl file on your USB flash drive, select the file you want loaded and press OK. Please be patient since this may take up to 10 minutes to reboot.

7. Press the Down button to highlight USB Thumbdrive, and then press OK.

8. Press the Down button to highlight the xxxxxxx.bdl file, and then press OK. NOTE: If you have more than one .bdl file on your USB Thumb drive, select the file you want loaded and press OK. Please be patient since this may take up to 10 minutes to reboot.

9. When the message Complete appears on the control panel display, press the Back button 3 times.

10. When the message Continue appears on the control panel display, press OK.

11. The printer will continue to boot to the Ready state.

Once the printer or MFP is back online, print a Configuration Page and verify that the new firmware has been installed.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your response.  I did go through all the steps and nothing.

It turns out that the 8gb hard drive is shot since I wasn't able to get anything to respond when I attempted the upload from the .bdl file in the Thumbdrive.

I have ordered a new blank hard drive to replace it.

I do have a question and it may be silly...is the firmware the actual printer OS?  Since I will need to load everything from scratch, will loading the firmware be like putting in a new OS in the partition?  OR do I need to order a pre-formatted hard drive from HP directly?

HP Recommended

You may order an 8GB solid hard disk specifically for M601/M602/M603 models. Then you will have to download the latest firmware in it. So yes, it is like you put a new OS on a new hdd (the equavalent of a PC).

I hope that helps,

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

I have solved the issue...it was definitely the hard drive.  As soon as I put in the replacement drive, I followed all instruction of loading in the firmware.  In about 15 minutes or so of updating and re-booting, the printer came back online and everything works normally.

Thank you all for you help on this...I would consider all of your responses solutions to this particular issue.

HP Recommended

I went through the steps listed to "Clear Disk" but when I select that option the printer says "Selection not Available".  So, these instructions do not work.

HP Recommended

If your drive has failed completely you may not be offered any disk options. If you are not concerned about encrypted drives you can use any Sata hard drive in place of the standard 8 GB unit but you will need a way to affix it to the formatter door. Zip ties anyone? 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.