Did you mean: 
Awsum
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3

False paper jam report - MFP M281fdw

HP Recommended
Laser printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a false paper jam report.  The printer says to open the paper tray and rear cover - but there is nothing in there. I have power cycled down and restarted a couple of times trying to clear it but no luck. There is absolutely no paper in there.  Please help!

(4)
2 REPLIES 2
John_Getzke
Level 11
3,668 3,638 228 561
Message 2 of 3
HP Recommended

Even if there is no jam the printer thinks there is and will not let you proceed.

Start by rebooting the printer.  This will kick off its auto check of the paper path and rollers.  If a roller is stuck you should see something as it boots up. 

Next step is to check and clean the rollers.  You can use a damp lint free cloth and some electronics cleaning solution to clean them up.  Swap out any worn down rollers with a replacement roller kit.

If the printer still doesnt clear the jam then the next step is to check on the sensors.  Perhaps there is some dust or debris covering up one of the paper path sensors.  You would need to inspect the area of the jam for clues and clean the gunk.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

0 Kudos
Awsum
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
HP Recommended
Thank you so much John. Unfortunately none of these approaches worked. The printer was only two weeks old so still under warranty and I had to get it replaced. This issue appears to be prevalent with HP, looking at reviews and message boards. What a shame HP doesn't look at it. I am now dealing with 123hp installation not playing with me as will not recognise new printer with driver installed two weeks ago. I used to love HP but rapidly going off them. Need another printer at another site - but won't be HP!

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation