Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet pro M102W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While trying to set up my new M102w printer today, I downloaded and ran the M102 Printer Series Firmware Updater from the HP website. All seemed well at first, but then I noticed that the printer was being listed on my computer as a HP LaserJet 3020, and soon found that it is not being recognized by the driver which I downloaded from the HP website. I assume that the Firmware Updater somehow installed the incorrect firmware, despite being clearly listed as the updater for the M102 series. I have since tried to re-run the updater, but it no longer recognizes the printer. Wi-Fi light is permanent off as HP 3020 is not Wi-Fi supported. This is ridiculous.. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Installing the wrong firmware is normally impossible so I have never seen this before. I suggest that you try performing a factory restore on the printer and then reconnect to see what happens.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

@repairtrooper, I'm not the first one facing this but you are the first one to read about it..

please visit

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Firmware-Updater-installed-incorrect-firmware/m-p/62...

HP Recommended

This disastrous error is going on since 2017, I'm amazed at the negligence of the @Hp

HP Recommended

How can I perform factory restore when the printer is not being detected by the computer. It just shows up in the devices list as HP Laserjet 3020

HP Recommended

I tried as you suggested but ready light just keeps blinking 4 seconds after turning on the printer, wifi light stays off. Nothing happened after 50 seconds pressing X button

Sending pvt msg failed, limit is reached,

My Gmail is [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

I think HP is responsible and should be sued for willfully sending wrong updates 

HP Recommended

Same issue here. Ridiculous.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.