Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CP1525nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laser jet CP1525nw printer displayed the message  "Firmware corrupt ready 2 download".  No response from any key presses.   Saw a post from a couple of years ago for someone with the same problem,  They were told that there are no resets that will help.  You need to order a formatter PCA and install it.   The person did and reported that the problem was fixed.

I tried the same thing.  Got a new formatter PCA and installed according to the hardware service manual.  Powered up and it appeared to be back working.  

THEN, I tried to set up the wireless.  Software setup program would not connect through the usb connection to my PC to allow wireless.  I have NO LIGHT on front panel wireless((i)) button.   Printed Config report.  Product Name = CP1525n. 

The formatter board was supposedly for either n or the nw.    But it looks like the printer thinks it is a CP1525n not nw.

Having installed the new formatter board is there something I need to do to get back to "nw"?

The service manual says, on pager 40, when you turn on power, NVRAM data will be written from the DC Controller PCA to the new formatter PCA.   The Config Report prints a different serial number than the one on the data plate.

Any help would be appreciated,  I am at  a stand still.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You say unresponsive, does that mean you get no sound when you connect the usb to your computer? If not then likely the formatter is too far gone. If you do get the connection tone, then proceed to install a printer manually. With the printer connected, setup a new printer using any of the USB ports that show as available. Once this is done, run the firmware upgrade application and select the printer you just created as the printer to update. If you have lucked into the correct port, the firmware update should start. If it does not, wait a couple of minutes. If there is no response, go to the printer properties for the printer you created and change the port to the next USB port listed in the list of printer ports. Wait for a few minutes to see if it responds. Repeat this step until you hit the correct port, then the printer should start receiving the firmware update. Let it complete as normal and you should be up and running. 

In terms of the formatter being written to by the DC controller, if there is already an identity programmed into the board then this will not happen and the printer will assume the identity already on the formatter. This is the challenge of buying a used formatter.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

The wireless is usually a separate board that you would need to move from the old board to the new one. Also this was a used board from an n series it would not change personality to be an NW. There are some fixes for the corrupt firmware that one can try, just as a reference if you cannot resolve the issue.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply,  Yes I would be interested in knowing how to help the firmware corrupt ready 2 download formatter board.   I can replace the old board.   With that board in it was unresponsive.  

There is no indication from the seller that there is a difference in the formatter board for n or nw.  It is advertised as "Main Formatter Board for HP CP1525n and Cp15nw Printers - CE482-60001".  From the hardware service manual it said the info from the DC controller should copy to the formater board.   Anyway the wireless board should be still in the printer,  it plugs into the connector on upper right hand side of formatter board.   

In anycase, it does appear that it thinks it is an "n".  There is no menu item in the network setup menu for the wireless menu.

thank you for any ideas.

HP Recommended

You say unresponsive, does that mean you get no sound when you connect the usb to your computer? If not then likely the formatter is too far gone. If you do get the connection tone, then proceed to install a printer manually. With the printer connected, setup a new printer using any of the USB ports that show as available. Once this is done, run the firmware upgrade application and select the printer you just created as the printer to update. If you have lucked into the correct port, the firmware update should start. If it does not, wait a couple of minutes. If there is no response, go to the printer properties for the printer you created and change the port to the next USB port listed in the list of printer ports. Wait for a few minutes to see if it responds. Repeat this step until you hit the correct port, then the printer should start receiving the firmware update. Let it complete as normal and you should be up and running. 

In terms of the formatter being written to by the DC controller, if there is already an identity programmed into the board then this will not happen and the printer will assume the identity already on the formatter. This is the challenge of buying a used formatter.

HP Recommended

Thankyou for your detailed explanation.  Here's what happened.   When I said unresponsive, I meant that from the front panel, there was no response, and had that message.   I never tried to connect to the printer through the USB.   So I swapped the boards, back to the original formatter board, so I could try to connect via USB.  When I powered back up,  low and behold, the printer boots up normally, ready to go.   I was able to print wirelessly.   Wasn't expecting it to go that way but I'll take it.   Thanks for getting me to give up on the "n" formatter board.  

If the same problem comes back, I will try the USB route as you suggested.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hello,  Hope you still see this even though I accepted solution.    So it was too good to be true that the problem fixed itself.   The message came back.   So I followed your instructions and installed printer manually with the first usb port, no connect.   Second usb port connects.   Everything looks right.   Then I go to load the the firmware through the firmware utility and I see a message on the front panel of the printer change from "ready 2 download" to something like Downloading >>>>>>>>>>,  which then quickly changes to Erasing >>>>>>>>>,  but, according to the instructions on hp site, it should go to the Ready screen.   On the firmware utility the progress bar goes to the end and I get a Smiley Face, but on the printer display, it never progresses past the Erasing >>>>>>>>>>> display.   I left it for a good 15 minutes or more.   I repeated this three or four times.  Each time cycling power on printer and PC.   It connects through the USB port and says ready but I can't get the printer to actually print anything.

The utility I am using is  "CP1520_Series_FW_Update-20140616.exe"

If you have any ideas I would love to hear them,  thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

You may have a corrupted install stuck in the print queue. Delete any pending jobs restart the computer and printer and try again. What happens if you start the printer up with no USB connected?

HP Recommended

Thank you for these suggestions.   I always checked the print queue and made sure it was clear.   I powered down both computer and printer and always powered up with usb disconnected.   Plugged in the USB, get the tone,  check that it is looking at the right printer (the one connected through the USB).   Frustrating that it starts and then hangs up.

HP Recommended

So does the printer come to ready when you start it up without the USB cable connected.?

HP Recommended

No, when I power up the printer, it comes up with a display of "Hewlett-Packard  >>>>>>"  then "Firmware Corrupt Ready to Down Load".   Printer keypresses are non-functional.  It has been this way since it re-failed.   

So I just went and cycled power, same thing as above, then, cycled power again and this time it comes up "Ready"!   If I cycle power again I am sure it will go back to Firmware Corrupt.  

Should I go through the same attempt as before with it now in the "Ready" state?  Or anything different?  I can access printer menus now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.