Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Officejet 6700 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About 30 seconds after a print command, a windows error "Failure to Print on HP6700" and an HP error "Unable to communicate with printer" appears.  Then about about a minute later the printer prints.  The printer is connected wirelessly and the blue wireless icon on the printer is always lit.  How can I get rid of this?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and checking in devices and printers. The only way to remove the printers from the Printer Assistant or the printer icon, is by doing a clean uninstall and mainly remove the instances from print server properties and then install the printer back on your computer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings @BenCarlson

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your printer, where the printer gives an "unable to communicate" error whenever you try to print, but after a minute the printer job is processed. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Are you using a dual band router?

Recommend you uninstall the printer software and settings as mentioned below. Reconfigure the printer and assign a manual IP address to the printer. 

Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore them).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Once the printer is configured over wireless, please follow the procedure mentioned below to assign a manual IP address to the printer. 

• Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel)
  • Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page.
  • Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

The procedure might be complicated but will resolve the issue you are facing. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I completed the instructions you provided.  The Registry Edit took quite a long time.  I searched for "6700" and deleted anything that had "HP Officejet 6700" or similar in the name.  There were probably 50 or 60 entries.  I know I had proviously installed the printer several times in the past, each seeming to fix other problems. Anyway, that was the hardest part.  The printer is now connected and working right away when I print something.

One last question, when I doubleclick the HP Officejet 6700 desktop icon it comes up saying "You have two or more of the same printer connected.  Please select one:" and it shows three printers "*****", "***** (2)" and the one with my serial number on it.  If I select any of the first two, and click OK, I get an error "This printer ins not installed.  Click the button below to install a printer now."  I suppose those do not matter for now, maybe I missed deleting something in registry.  If I select the one with my serial number and OK, it brings up the HP Printer Assistant.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad that the issue is resolved. To delete the multiple instances of the printer in the printer assistant, can you open devices and printers and check how many instances of the printer is listed. (Delete the instances of the printer that no longer work.)

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There are no other printer instances listed there except Microsoft Print to PDF and Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and checking in devices and printers. The only way to remove the printers from the Printer Assistant or the printer icon, is by doing a clean uninstall and mainly remove the instances from print server properties and then install the printer back on your computer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried to find the print server properties but no luck.  I think I will just live with what I have because the printer is working fine.  If I run into a problem later on, I'll figure out how to do a clean uninstall and go from there.  Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

Hello, @BenCarlson

Thanks for the update!

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.