Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi!

We changed wifi at home.

Wife has thrown away the paper i had where i had the printer password written down.

I now cannot access anything on the printer due to password protection.

I've tried to access the printer through tcp/ip and connecting to the ip etc but always get the password required.

How do i find out the password, alternatively how do i factory reset the device without a password?

BR

Christopher Hellman

Pls send the answer to my mail aswell. Christopher.hellman@vattenfall.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Re: Full factory reset HP LaserJet M254 DW

NVRAM Reset

• Turn On the Product, as soon as the HP logo appears
  • Press and hold the Lower Right quadrant of the touchscreen,
  • When you see the message ‘Permanent Storage Init.’ release the button.
  • When the NVRAM init has been completed, the device will return to the ready state

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ChristopherHell

Which model printer are you using?

If you are using a HP LaserJet MFP M28-M31 printer, you may restore the network settings to defaults and then try again.

Refer to page 60 of the user guide to know how to restore the settings.

To know how to connect to a wireless network, click here

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar

No we have a HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw.

1. Any setting i try to change through the printer interface on the printer requires a password. When i try to restore defaults in the printer interface password is also required.
  2. So i tried to connect to the printer through TCP/IP cable and accessing the printer via IP number, i run into the same problem here; password required for any change.

How can i circumvent the password requirement?

I remind you that the password was thrown away by my wife a while ago so its not recoverable.

HP Recommended
Re: Full factory reset HP LaserJet M254 DW

NVRAM Reset

• Turn On the Product, as soon as the HP logo appears
  • Press and hold the Lower Right quadrant of the touchscreen,
  • When you see the message ‘Permanent Storage Init.’ release the button.
  • When the NVRAM init has been completed, the device will return to the ready state
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.