Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277c6
Chrome OS

Printer working great on my network on Mac OS machines.

I then set it up for a ChromeBook.  It prints fine but I am being forced to change the default Tray to Tray 2 each time in the Chromebook Print dialog.  No way to make this selection "stick."  If I do not make this change, the print job errors on the printer with a mesage that says something like "Load Tray 1- Plain, Letter" and I have to cancel the job and do it over.

I cannot find anywhere in the printer setup to make it switch to Tray 2 if no paper in Tray 1.

What can I do???

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Stephejo,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the post that you are having issues while printing from Chromebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to remove and add the printer?

Did you try to update the firmware for the printer?

Have you tried to check the print settings before printing?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let's try these steps to remove and add the printer: 

1. Turn on your printer.
  2. On your Windows or Mac computer, open Chrome.
  3. At the top right, click More More and then Settings.
  4. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  5. Under "Printing," click Google Cloud Print.
  6. Click Manage Cloud Print devices.
  7. If prompted, sign in with your Google Account.
  8. Select the printers you want to connect, and then click Remove printer.

Once done, go ahead and restart the printer. and then follow the steps to add the printer.

1. Turn on your printer.
  2. On your Windows or Mac computer, open Chrome.
  3. At the top right, click More More and then Settings.
  4. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  5. Under "Printing," click Google Cloud Print.
  6. Click Manage Cloud Print devices.
  7. If prompted, sign in with your Google Account.
  8. Select the printers you want to connect, and then click Add printer(s).

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try to update the printer firmware: If your printer is already connected to a network and you registered your printer with Google Cloud Print, the printer firmware might need to be updated. Go to the HP Customer Support page. Type your printer model, and then search for the document on updating the firmware for your printer.

Now, try to print and check if it takes the tray 1 as the default, If the issue persists, I would suggest you try to select the printer settings before you print.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was looking to try to select a tray using Google Cloud Print. All you did was to tell this person to reset everything from scratch. Do you have any idea what you told this person to do? And, it's not even an issue, it's a question of how to use something.

Anyway, I felt the need to reply because I have to say:

DO NOT DO WHAT IS SUGGESTED HERE TO SELECT A PAPER TRAY USING GCP!!!

So far, my searching is suggesting that you cannot select a tray (for any printer) with GCP. One way to deal this might be to load different media types in the trays and select a media type. Of course, using two printers might be required.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.