01-08-2020 08:10 AM
I have had this printer for 10 years. It works fine for most things. Last year, I installed it on a new computer. And it has worked fine. The problem is with duplex printing.
On the previous computer, I had the option in the Printer Setup on the Print dialog to select "2-sided printing". When I did, the printer would print the odd numbered pages of a document, then it would provide a dialog on the screen showing me how to go to the printer and turn the pages over. Then click restart, and it would print the even sides of the pages on the back of the page. Very cool.
But NOW, there is NO option for two-sided printing at all. So I went to the printer and scanners page in the settings, and under printer properties I can select "is automatic duplexer installed". If I say yes, NOW the print dialog has the option for 2-sided printing. BUT, since there is no hardware duplexer, it prints one sided, with every other page upside down,
So, HOW do I enable the SOFTWARE duplex function that this HP 1106W has, but is not now showing on screen?
Both the old and new computers are running Windows 10 64 bit.
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-10-2020 09:20 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the duplexing issue.
Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues.
If the issue still persists, try re-installing the printer driver -
1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".
2. Look for HP Printer software.
3. Right-click to uninstall.
4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.
5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.
6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).
8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.
9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.
10. Select Ok.
11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.
12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.
13. Restart the computer.
14. Download and install the software and drivers from here for Windows 10 (64-bit).
15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
You may also refer to - How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
01-11-2020 06:58 AM
Ok, I figured it out. When Windows 10 upgraded, the HP driver that I had been using was overwritten by the generic Windows driver. And again somehow, it was not the right driver! So it thought there was a duplexer (there isn't), and it had two different listings (Printer1 and Printer2) in the dropdown of the print dialog, but in the printer setup panel there was only one printer set up with two "functions". It let me set up the duplexer, but since there IS no duplexer on this printer it printed pages on one side, with every other page being upside down, to accommodate a mechanical duplexer that didn't exist!
So I deleted EVERYTHING, Every piece of HP software from my computer, then restarted it, and downloaded the printer driver. Now it works.
So, if you've upgraded Windows 10 this might be a problem. I hear it's pretty common.