Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 1320n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just acquired a used HP LaserJet 1320n to replace my older LaserJet 6P. The 1320n works flawlessly on my Windows 10 Professional 64-bit system, except for one function, duplex printing. I've looked here on the forum for a solution but can't find one that seems to apply specifically to my operating system.

I've logged into the IP configuration utility for the printer to check the settings. The duplex printing is shown as enabled ("ON") in the Paper Options. When I go to print a document and click on the "finishing" tab of document properties, I make sure to have "Print on both sides" enabled as well.

When I click on "Print," the printer ejects the first page, then pulls the page back into the printer to print on the other side of the page.  The printer then stops after a moment and illuminates the amber "jam" light. The printer doesn't seem to behave like it would during an actual physical paper jam. The printer appears to simply be stopping in the midst of the duplex printing process. I really believe this is some software/driver issue causing the duplex printing process to "hang" between printing the front and back of the page, not an actual physical paper jam. I've checked the status of the printer driver and it appears I have the latest and most-appropriate driver for the printer (HP LaserJet 1320 PCL 5) installed.

It's certainly not a big deal as the printer works great otherwise; however, it would be nice to have the duplex feature available as I have several multi-page documents that would be more appropriately printed on both sides of a page in book form.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can render!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is not a software or driver issue but something with the hardware. When you print in duplex the printer will print the second side first, pull the paper back into the printer into the duplex tray and then print the first side and eject the paper into the top bin. One thing you can check is to make sure there is nothing stuck in the duplex tray stopping the paper from completing the cycle. Remove the paper tray and there should be a duplex release lever you pull or push which will drop the tray so you can see if anything is stuck in it. The other issue could be the duplex solenoid which controls duplex paper movement. Do a goole search for the service manual and dowload and look for instructions for removal of the solenoid which is not that hard to see if maybe the "L" arm is sticking.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

This is not a software or driver issue but something with the hardware. When you print in duplex the printer will print the second side first, pull the paper back into the printer into the duplex tray and then print the first side and eject the paper into the top bin. One thing you can check is to make sure there is nothing stuck in the duplex tray stopping the paper from completing the cycle. Remove the paper tray and there should be a duplex release lever you pull or push which will drop the tray so you can see if anything is stuck in it. The other issue could be the duplex solenoid which controls duplex paper movement. Do a goole search for the service manual and dowload and look for instructions for removal of the solenoid which is not that hard to see if maybe the "L" arm is sticking.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply!

There's a green tab which I pushed to drop the duplex tray (it appears to be held in position with magnets) and there was nothing stuck in it. The paper gets pulled back into the printer and ends up in the duplex tray, but that's where it stops. I gather I should consider the duplex solenoid next? I have a copy of the repair manual and will refer to it & see if the solenoid is functioning properly.

Thank you again!

HP Recommended

I disassembled the printer to gain access to the duplex solenoid in accordance with the instructions in the repair manual, as well as referencing a couple of YouTube videos

The bumper on the solenoid was, in fact, a bit sticky as you suggested. I cleaned off the sticky bumper residue and wrapped the solenoid coil in Scotch tape as shown in a Japanese YouTube clip. Thinking this might not be the preferred method, I initially tried a small rectangular square of electrical tape; however, the cut edges of the tape oozed a very small bit of adhesive. Not wanting to end up with the same problem after going to so much effort, I opted to employ the Scotch tape repair and it seems to have worked!

Thank you again!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, and it turned out to be a tiny wad of paper left over from a paper jam I'd just fixed. Tweezed it ou, and alll was fine.

First time I ever got a problem solved in the first place I looked online..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.