Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet 2600n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been trying to use my HP 2600n laserjet on my network with my new HP Laptop but despite following all recommendations I have been unable.

If I do "Add a Printer" and selected "Older Printer" search, it finds my HP 2600n fine. I then try to find the drivers by telling it to download more printers from Windows (See: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/drivers-for-hp-color-laserjet-2600n-for-windows-10-o... ), but my 2600n is still not shown. 

I went to HP Driver support and found no downloadable drivers for Win 10 (but if I select Win 7 instead, it DOES show downloadable drivers).

I am currently USING the 2600N with a Lenovo ThinkPad 400 running Windows 10 on the same network, so I KNOW it's possible.

I have tried every method HP suggests but I get nowhere.

Suggestions MOST WELCOME!!

Thanks,

Bob

(I am not a good IT person so I ask any suggestions be as easy to follow as possible for a newbie.)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The best method is to manually install using a TCP/IP that you manually configure and then select a driver by telling Windows to check windows update for drivers. HP does not appear to publish a driver for this device and the UPD driver is not compatible so you are pretty much stuck using a Microsoft driver if one appears after update.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

The best method is to manually install using a TCP/IP that you manually configure and then select a driver by telling Windows to check windows update for drivers. HP does not appear to publish a driver for this device and the UPD driver is not compatible so you are pretty much stuck using a Microsoft driver if one appears after update.

I noticed my new HP computer FOUND the HP 2600n and assigned it this I.P. 10.0.0.146, though without a driver it cannot operate the printer.

At ONE point in my attempts an HP screen said "Your printer is Configured and will now print a Test Page," but alas no page was printed.

My wife's Win 10 computer (Lenovo) is supporting this printer, and works perfectly with it, and I tried to find the driver installed on it that I somehow installed 4 years ago, and which works perfectly. Maybe HP then offered a driver for Win 10 but no longer does?

But I figured maybe I could make a copy of the driver on the Lenovo it and install the copy on the HP, but I normally do not ever use Win 10 (The Win 10 is my wife's computer which I never use, and she knows even less than I do). My computers all run Win 7 which I am familiar with and like, and can locate drivers on it, but unfortunately it would be the wrong driver anyway. The problem is I cannot FIND the driver on the Lenovo to copy.

In attempting to find the driver on the Lenovo, I opened Documents and Downloads on the Lenovo Win 10 computer, but there were no downloads in a search term "HP." I have no idea where else to look and find the HP 2600n driver on that computer, so maybe you could tell me where/how to get installed drivers and copy the right one it onto a USB stick that I can upload into the new HP laptop?

I DID have my HP look for Windows updates and it "found" and listed a few HP printers, but not the HP 2600n. 

We have a HP 3800 laserjet at another location, and I easily found drivers for it, so I am guessing that the 2600n is very obsolete so current Win 10 doesn't have it loaded anymore.

I found many Used/Reconditioned HP 2600n printers for sale by Reconditioned Printer Sellers websites so find it hard to believe there is a market for these unless there is a way to use it with PCs most of which are probably running Win 10.

Very frustrating!

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.
I appreciate your help, and will certainly be happy to suggest your solution to others on teh Forum.
Bob
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.