Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Enterprise Laser Jet M712xh
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We just took delivery of a M712xh printer. Based on a conversation with HP sales we also ordered an additional 500 sheet paper tray (CF239A) to go with it. While we were assured that it was basically plug and play, we find that the extra tray is not being recognized by the printer and we're not sure why. It's not the tray because if we swap trays, the new tray is recognized and the one that camp with the printer is not. Swap the trays around and the same thing applies. Is there anything in the way of a refresh that we're missing - maybe reset the printer to factory specs and try again?  Anything else we should be looking for with this or it the tray just not compatible after all?  The connectors have been hooked up, so I assume it's supposed to go ahead and be recognized and connect.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Any chance they shipped the wrong tray with it?  Check the number on the tray itself.  Also, how is the unit configured out of the box, how many trays did you have. Maximum stated in documentation is 6. That would be manual tray and 5 paper trays.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

If I remember good you can't combine 2 additional 500 sheet trays  ( CF239A you received with the new printer and one CF239A additional you purchased).

The M712xh will accept following additional trays: 

CF243A HP LaserJet 1x500-sheet Paper Feeder with Cabinet and Stand
CF242A HP LaserJet 3x500-sheet Feeder and Stand
CF245A HP LaserJet 3,500-sheet HCI Feeder and Stand

The CF239A will work only in M712n and M712dn but only if you install one (2nd will not work).

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you gentlemen.  We did get the correct item.  I saw the options with the stands but that wouldn't work with the space we had to deal with.  I had specifically asked HP about the CF239 and they told me it would be recognized automatically.  I guess they got the model numbers mixed up or I didn't give them the correct printer number.

Either way the tray is set to be returned this week.  The department is plenty happy with what they got - even without the extra capacity, so everything is good.

Thanks for all the responses - it's hard to find really definitive information online some times, so I appreciate your efforts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.