Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP color LaserJet and I am getting a lot of Lines and/or streaks on my printed pages.

I’m also noticing toner inside the printer and my printer seems to take more cleaning cycles than it used to.

Thanks!

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I’d recommend a few of things

First, make sure your firmware is up to date, Go to the Software and Drivers Download page at HP.com and install the latest available firmware for the printer.

Next, ensure that the toner collection unit isn’t full

Finally, print a cleaning page from the control panel of the Printer, normally you would select the following from the menu:

• Device Maintenance
  • Calibration / Cleaning
  • Cleaning page

You can also check out this document as well.

HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M552, M553 and MFP M577 - Lines/streaks, toner dust, and/or excessive c...

Hope that helps.

I am an HP employee supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others. Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of HP.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

I’d recommend a few of things

First, make sure your firmware is up to date, Go to the Software and Drivers Download page at HP.com and install the latest available firmware for the printer.

Next, ensure that the toner collection unit isn’t full

Finally, print a cleaning page from the control panel of the Printer, normally you would select the following from the menu:

• Device Maintenance
  • Calibration / Cleaning
  • Cleaning page

You can also check out this document as well.

HP Color LaserJet Enterprise M552, M553 and MFP M577 - Lines/streaks, toner dust, and/or excessive c...

Hope that helps.

I am an HP employee supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others. Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of HP.
HP Recommended

Also make sure your cartridge aren't low. 
If cartridges are low or very low, for better print quality replace the cartridge. 

I am an HP Employee
I work in Laser Jet Printing
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP.
HP Recommended

A few things cause that... First, run a nice colorful page and pop it open when the page is passing the toner.  Pull out the toners and look at the drums. You can have a waste toner collector gummed up.

Also, if you are using them, generic or remanufactured toners cause this kind of issue a lot because the powder is not as good quality as what HP uses and it clumps, causing build up on the internal wiping blades on the drums.  Not so much because it gets damp, but because (under a microscope) HP uses spherical shaped particals and generic toner looks like shattered glass.  They catch on each other and build a "dam". 

If all else fails, see if you have a good HP Tech in your area.  They can do a good cleaning for you and have it up to perfection for just a 1 hour service call.

HP Recommended

I pull mine apart about once a month and use a can of air on the inside.

Also shake the toner.

HP Recommended

I don't blow out laser printers because then you're putting the toner particles in the air where you can inhale them, plastic particles are not good for the inside of your lungs.

Also the canned air you mentioned is probably actually difluoroethane which is not recommended for breathing either.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

I was having a similar problem with blue streaks.  I replaced the blue toner cartridge and everything's fine now.

HP Recommended

check your transfer belt...ETB. Plus HP has a tendency to be dirty and dropping colour, by gravity all over. Not a well designed printer. But its HP/Canon.

Technician
HP Recommended

Trying to stop the lines on photos, guess could be toner problem, so changed all the 4 toners And now I get  question mark on the blue and yellow cartridges. I cleaned off remnants of sellotape adhesive but after a reset the ? marks are still there.

Have you got any ideas how to clear this error message? They are not Genuine Hp cartridges but are new from "Toner Giant" and I have used them before ok

GeoffR2

HP Recommended

Make sure you put the right colors in the right slots. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.