Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M254nw
macOS 10.14 Mojave
  • Model: HP Color LaserJet M254nw
  • Driver Version: 2.0 (should I instal a different driver, can this be the cause of the problem?)
  • Connection Type: Bonjour (is this the correct connection type ?)
  • Address Type: IPv4, or IPv6, or Bonjour? which one to choose if I add device manually?
  • FW Version: 2019-02-18
  • MacOS 10.14 Mojave
  • Wireless Network Test Report; diagnostics summary "Pass", only states Signal Strength is Very Very Low. 
  • HP Utility installed: "unable to communicate with the selected device"

I'm able to print from a Windows laptop, but not from the Mac. How can I solve/resolve the connection issue?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Vince_, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Make sure the Printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information.
  • How far is the printer located from the WiFi router? As the Wireless Network Test Report says the Signal Strength is too low, make sure the distance is not too much between these devices and also check for any kind of interference.

Check the connectivity between the Printer and the MAC by performing a PING test

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
  5. Note: There should be 0% packet loss. Share the results.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Kumar.

- I have managed to initiate the "Spotlight" search, by clicking on the magnifying glass in the top right corner.

- I have checked the connectivity by performing a PING test:

10 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 10.0% packet loss

What do you mean exactly with these two comments points:

• Make sure the Printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network. Q: How/Where can I check this?
  • The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information. Q: I don't understand this instruction. Click the "Option" key on the keyboard and then?

Thanks for your follow-up support. Vince.

HP Recommended

@Vince_

The printer and Mac seems to be communicating with each other even though there is 10% data loss

Do you have any Antivirus installed on your Mac? If you do please disable or uninstall them for now and check if the printer connects

Ensure your Mac has the latest updates. Link: https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201541

Also ensure the printer's Firmware is updated. You can follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Please check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. This is very important.

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.