Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M377
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi:

I am am interested in getting a model M377 or M477.

I have read reviews on the M277, and they say that it's USB port can only support thumb drives formatted as FAT or FAT32...not NTFS or exFAT.

Is this true ?  If so, do the 377 or 477 support NTFS or exFAT ?

Thank you

DaleBr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It has USB wake up printing (no computer needed) and

SUPPORTED USB STORAGE DEVICES AND PROTOCOLS
The USB Walk Up Printing feature only supports:
• USB 2.0  
• NAND Flash Memory devices
• File formats FAT, FAT 16 or FAT 32  
• Size 128 MG to 2 GB

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

It has USB wake up printing (no computer needed) and

SUPPORTED USB STORAGE DEVICES AND PROTOCOLS
The USB Walk Up Printing feature only supports:
• USB 2.0  
• NAND Flash Memory devices
• File formats FAT, FAT 16 or FAT 32  
• Size 128 MG to 2 GB

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Thank you for your detailed reply !

DaleBr

HP Recommended

And may I ask why in this day of rovers to Mars are we not able to use NTFS formatted thumb drives.  You do understand what the NT stands for...  Isn't there a firmware or software update that can be devised to fix this?

HP Recommended
NTFS ... Not Tested File System ? 😉

What about exFAT ?

Will the printer recognize and work with a USB thumb drive formatted as exFAT ?

Is the port USB 2.0, 3.0, or both ?

Thank you
DaleBr
HP Recommended

The upvoted solution here is incomplete. It may also be necessary to power-cycle the printer if using a USB drive larger than 2GB.

Ref: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02020670.pdf

You can waste a lot of time re-formatting and retrying multiple thumbdrives (as I did) without this additional bit of information.

HP Recommended

Hi:

From what I have read since posting my question, the HP printers that have a USB port (e.g., the Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdw) do not support exFAT formatted external hard drives or exFAT formatted thumb drives, and are compatible through USB 2.0.  I do not know for certain whether they will support USB 3.0 drives.   I think that they should, but only transfer at USB 2,0 speeds, since USB 3.0 is supposed to be backward-compatible so that they can tak to USB 2.0 ports.

Thank you for your feedback.

DaleBr

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.