Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet Pro M252dw
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I have a friend who has an HP Color LaserJet Pro M252DW printer that is connected wirelessly to the 2.4 GHz band of her Linksys EA 2700 router. She does not want to use the 5.0 GHz band.

She’s using an early 2014, 11 inch Macbook Air with 4 Gigs of ram and a 128 Gig SSD that shows approximately 1.66 Gig available. She’s using OS 10.10.5.

Neither one of us are experts with printers, but I was able to get some info about the printer. It has 256 Mb of memory, using Postscript driver version 19.13 and firmware version 2015-0122. When connected wirelessly she wasn’t able to see the memory or firmware stats, but when she plugged in the usb cable she was able to see them.

She’s an artist and recently she scanned a line drawing to a tiff file using an older iMac connected to an older HP inkjet all-in-one. She copied the tiff file to a thumb drive and then copied the file to her Macbook Air. She then imported the tiff file into a Pages (ver. 5.6.1) document.  She tells me that when she tries to print a line drawing in Pages it takes a long time to print, if it prints at all.  The pages file is about 50 meg in size. She’s tried saving the document as a pdf and the same thing occurs. Finally, powering off and then unplugging the unit and then powering back on seems to resolve the issue, although only for the current print job. Sometimes the print job completely and silently disappears from the print que. I'm not sure if this stat is relevant but the IO timeout on the printer is set to 120 seconds.

I’m no expert, but I’m thinking that the issue could be related to one of three things: 1.  Limited disk space. Her Pages document is around 50 Meg in size.  She sometimes gets a message at startup urging her to clear stuff off the SSD. 2.   Maybe the wifi connection is interrupted from the router. 3. Maybe she doesn’t have enough ram in either the Macbook Air or the printer.

This is a current project, but she has had this situation occur before, usually when doing complex art projects.

Any assistance in resolving this issue is much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@FalvinP

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are getting slow printing issue when you print from your Mac. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Did you run any updates on the Mac recently?
  • When did this issue start?

Meanwhile, reset the printer

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

10. Try to print.

Check the print driver settings

1. On your Mac, open the photo or document you want to print.

2. Open the photo or document you want to print, click File, and then click Print. For the Photos app, click the Print button at the bottom of the window.

The print settings window opens.

3. Make sure your printer is selected.

4. If you do not see options on the Print dialog box, click Show Details.

5. Click the unnamed menu at the center of the window, click Paper Type/Quality or Media & Quality, and then select Normal or Draft from the Quality or Print Quality menu or slider.

Figure : Example of quality options

Image: Quality options

Try to print.

Update the printer firmware

1. Make sure the printer is on and connected to the computer, either through your local network or a USB cable.

2. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.

3. If a Let's identify your product to get started page displays, click Printer, type your printer model number, and then click Submit.

The software results page for your printer displays with the default operating system selected.

4. If you need to change the version of macOS or OS X, click Change, select your version, and then click Change.

5. Click Firmware, and then click Download.

If a Firmware section is not listed, an update is not currently available for your printer.

6. When the download is complete, open the [Printer_name].dmg file.

7. Double-click HP Firmware Updater.

8. Click the name of your printer, and then click Continue.

Device Discovery window with printer selected

9. The updater checks the firmware version currently installed on the printer and displays the results in the Update Information window.

• If Device is ready to be reflashed displays, click Continue to update the firmware.

When the update completes, click Done.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m252-series/7089938/model/7089942/documen...

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I'll print out the instructions and go over to my friends house to check things out. I don't know if there have been any recent updates to the computer, but since she's using an older operating system I imagine some updates are needed. The problem is a current issue, although my friend did say it's happened in the past as well. She's had the printer between one and two years and loves it when it's working properly. I won't be able to get to my friends house for a few days. I'll update this thread when I know more. Thanks again for the reply.

HP Recommended

@FalvinP

You're welcome.

As @sandytechy20 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

Sure, please feel free to reply as conveniently as possible. 

Till then take care and have a great week ahead. 

Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.