Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (305 Views)

HP G85 Wrong port configured

Product Name: HP G85
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to add my G85 to my windows 7 (64 bit) laptop, the HP print and scan doctor says it cannot assign the correct port. When I change the port from DOT 4 to USB it does not make a difference. I cannot delete the DOT port even though I have admin rights. I have tried to reinstall the software, it didn't seem to help. 

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 2 (287 Views)

Re: HP G85 Wrong port configured

Hi @theduellist

Welcome to the HP support forums.

I understand that you are trying to add your HP Officejet g85 All-in-One Printer to your Windows 7 PC, and are seeing a cannot assign the correct port message when running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. I would like to help with that.

At this time, a full feature Windows 7 driver solution is not available for your product. Installation of the HP Officejet g85 All-in-One Printer's Driver defaults to the Windows Built-in Print Driver. Here is a resource for assistance with that if needed - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver.

You could also try assigning an alternate driver other than the one assigned by the Windows Built-in Print Driver. Here is a document that could help with doing this - Installing an Alternate Print Driver in Windows 7 for a USB Cable Connection. This document doesn't list an alternate driver for you printer specifically, but there will be plenty of HP Officejet drivers you can try. It is basically a trial and error process as different drivers will have different levels of compatibility.

I have done some Google searching and found a couple links that are similar to your "cannot assign the correct port" issue. The first link discusses getting an older HP printer working with Windows 7. Source 

The second link from the Windows Community forums discusses USB printer detection and Ports. Source 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message.Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation