Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've been trying for several months now to install this printer on my Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1. I previously had it installed on my desktop PC without any problems via Wi-Fi. I no longer have that PC and have been trying to install the printer on my Surface but keep running into the exact same error message.

I download and run the HP LaserJet Pro Series Basic Solution and Driver Version 1.1 from the HP website as it is the most recent driver package prescribed for my printer by the website. I run the software and select that I want to connect my device via wireless and that the software can automatically gather and configure the device with my network information. It then asks me to connect the printer via USB. It confirms it has detected the device then shows the progress bar as in the image below.

progress.jpg

It takes about 20 minutes for this progress bar to reach 100%. When it does I always recieve the error in the image below.

error.jpg

I am then able to progress no further. I have tried changing many things, but always receive the same error. I've selected wireless connection with automatic network configuration, wireless connection with manual network configuration and USB connection. I've tried numerous different USB cables. I've reset the printer to factory settings several times. I only use Windows Defender as a firewall and have tried with that turned on and turned off. I've tried using two different Wi-Fi routers. I've redownloaded the installer several times. Everything leads to the same error every single time. I've tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor, but it simply says it cannot detect any installed devices.

I'm getting highly frustrated. I didn't have a single issue installing this on my original device. After months of trying without success I'm asking here for help in resolving this issue before I simply decide to buy a different brand of printer.

Regards,

Axiryth

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Axiryth

I see by your post that you are unable to install the printer on the Windows 8.1 computer over the  network. I can help you with this today.

I have provided a document with some steps to try to see if that will resolve the issue.

A Fatal Error Displays During Software Installation.

If the issue persists, then we will want to remove any old printer files and try a fresh install with the proper Admininstrative rights.

Make sure the printer USB cable is disconnected.

I believe there is a scrubber on the CD to remove all the printer files.

Open the files on the CD/utility folder/scrubber.

If there is no scrubber on the CD, please try one of the following options:

Here are the steps to run the uninstall from the computer files or the CD.

To uninstall from program files:
Touch the Windows key and the E key to access the computer window.
Select the C drive.
Select program files or program files x86.
Open the HP and printer name folder.
Select uninstall.

Uninstall the software from the CD:
Touch the Windows key and the E key to access the computer window. Right click on the CD for the printer, left click open in a new window, double click on uninstall.

Run all the Windows Updates first.

Reregister the Windows Installer:

Open the run box by holding the Windows key and the R key.

Type in msiexec /unregister then click OK, then type in msiexec /regserver then click OK.
(make sure you are typing it in exactly there is a space in between)

Set up the Administrator Rights on Windows 8.

Where Do I Change User Privileges in Windows 8? 

Then disable all the start up programs and temporarily turn off the Antivirus Software and the Real Time Scanning. There might be something running in the background causing the installation to stop.

How to use MSCONFIG . Click on the start up tab across the top and click disable all.

Install the software again.

Test the printer.

Then you will need to go back in and enable the start up programs and turn the Antivirus Software back on again.

If the issue persists, create a new user account and try the setup again.

How to create a new user account in Windows 8.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have attempted to follow your instructions, but have had no luck. I am installing on a Windows 8.1 tablet, so I am unable to use the original install CD.

When following the guide to update the drivers from Device Manager I ran into a problem as my device manager has no drop down list for printers, even after checking to view hidden items. You can see this in the image below. I was therefore unable to complete this set of instructions.device.jpg

I followed the rest of your instructions exactly. Unfortunately it is still resulting in the same error message.

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information Axiryth.

If the printer is already configured on the network with the IP address, then during the install after selecting wireless, is it still requiring you to connect the USB cable? (some software does this even though it is already configured)

With the USB cable connected, could you provide a screen shot of the device manager with the Universal Serial Bus Controllers lists showing please. It doesn't look like the USB connection is being recognized properly or installing the incorrect drivers, therefore causing the installation to stop progress.

Is the USB port on the computer 2.0 or 3.0?

I would recommend using the 2.0 port and cable.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet and the USB cable is connected directly to the computer.

The USB cable shouldn't be longer then 6 feet.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. :generic:

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer is not already configured on the network. I assume this occurs as part of the installation process when it asks if I want the software to automatically collect my network information and setup the printer. But the error appears to occur before it can complete this process.

The USB port on the computer is 2.0. The cable is only short and connects directly to the computer.

I'll reply again and attach the requested screenshot when I'm next home.

HP Recommended

I've got exactly the same problem (fatal error at 99% installation) but on a new Pavilion desktop with Windows 10.

What do I need to do to resolve ?

HP Recommended

After reviewing other messages, I have downloaded the driver software for Windows 8.1 (on to my new Windows 10 computer) and the printer installed - perfectly!   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.