Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 1320nw
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hello everyone,

a friend of mine recently moved out of his old apartment and the printer was stillt working in that apartment. Now in his new apartment the printer is not working anymore and, in case this is important information, his internet provider + router changed.

The printer turns on and is recognized by windows but as soon as you try to print nothing happens - theres nothing in the  print queue.

So I tried to connect the printer over cable but the only thing the printer has is a network cable - when connecting that cable with the laptop it still the finds the printer but still no printing.

I checked the drivers, I tried the troubleshooting and neither of those seem to be problem.

So here I sit wondering what I could try else if there any suggestions on what to check or to do please let me know.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Does the printer produce a test print from the control panel? If yes then likely the print engine itself is ok. Just a note, if you are connecting a computer and printer directly together with a network cable (no network switch or router) you need to manually set the IP address of both the computer and printer to the same subnet. For example: Printer 192.168.1.10 and computer 192.168.1.20. Failure to do this will result in the two not communicating properly. Once you have done that, on the PC, go to control panel>devices and printers. Click add new printer, tell windows the printer is not found and add a printer manually. Create a new port using a Standard TCP/IP port as the type  and enter the IP address of the printer as the port address. When prompted for driver locate the driver for the printer. If you can print this way then there is not a problem with the printer and you need to go through the settings on your router and printer to match everything up.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Does the printer produce a test print from the control panel? If yes then likely the print engine itself is ok. Just a note, if you are connecting a computer and printer directly together with a network cable (no network switch or router) you need to manually set the IP address of both the computer and printer to the same subnet. For example: Printer 192.168.1.10 and computer 192.168.1.20. Failure to do this will result in the two not communicating properly. Once you have done that, on the PC, go to control panel>devices and printers. Click add new printer, tell windows the printer is not found and add a printer manually. Create a new port using a Standard TCP/IP port as the type  and enter the IP address of the printer as the port address. When prompted for driver locate the driver for the printer. If you can print this way then there is not a problem with the printer and you need to go through the settings on your router and printer to match everything up.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.