Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am getting this random error on my HP LaserJet 400 M401dn printer.

PCL XL Error

Subsystem: Kernel

Error: IllegalTag

File Name: Kernel.c

Line Number: 1921

The printer is connected to an windows 2012 VM file server with 4 other printers.

Three Windows 7 PC's connect to the server to use the printers.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

David

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Your error:

PCL XL Error
 Subsystem:   Kernel
 Error:       IllegalTag
 File Name:   Kernel.c

implies that the incoming print job includes a tag which is not supported by the protocol.

To find out just what is wrong with the print stream would almost certainly require access to the source code (specifically module Kernel.c) of the firmware in the printer - available only to HP (or whoever was contracted to write the firmware).

In earlier generations of LaserJet printer, the format of the error message (as per the PCL XL specification) was somewhat different; for example:

PCL XL Error
 Subsystem:   Kernel
 Error:       IllegalTag
 Operator:    SetFont
 Position:    43

which could be used to discover the underlying fault by reprinting the document using 'print to file', then analysing the resultant .prn file, and finding the data associated with the relevant PCL XL Operator tag (which, in the above example, would be the 43rd operator in the print job).

Although the new format of error message is possibly more useful to HP in determining the cause of the error (their having access to the source code of the firmware), it would have been very useful to independant consultants if the original Operator tag and Position elements of the error had also been included.

If you get exactly the same error if you reprint the same document to the same printer, using the same application and print driver on the same workstation, then the fault is likely to be a driver error, in which case the only solution may be to use a different printer driver (if one is available).

If doing a reprint as per above produces a different error (or no error at all), then the problem is intermittent, and is more likely to be caused by corruption of the print job between workstation and printer; check (perhaps by replacing one item at a time) cables, ports, switches, hubs, etc.

HP Recommended

My give me this error:

PCL XL Error

Subsystem: KERNEL

Error: Illegaltag

File Name: Kernel.c

I do not know what's wrong with the printer...
I need some help.

Best Regards
HP Recommended

As the post above this indicates something is wrong with the print job you are sending. The easy solution is to not use the pcl6 driver. Change the print driver to postscript or pcl5 and the error will no longer appear and the job will print. Just do a google search on how to change print drivers.

HP Recommended

As the post above this indicates something is wrong with the print job you are sending. The easy solution is to not use the pcl6 driver. Change the print driver to postscript or pcl5 and the error will no longer appear and the job will print. Just do a google search on how to change print drivers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.