Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Printing
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There is an old thread with this same title and problem.  It is listed as solved.  It would be nice if HP Forum would remove the "Solved" flagged and acknowledge that it isn't -- per the comments that have been there since 2016.

The problem is that this printer is on-line and the computer is on-line and connected, but the software shows that it is "offline".  The "solution" suggests going into Control Panel, Devices and Printers, right clicking properties on the icon for the printer, and then proceeding to the "Port" tab.  There is no such tab.  Hence, the solution isn't a solution.

If someone else has a solution that will fix this problem that would be nice.  If another person has a solution that will prevent it from recurring, that would be even better!  This problem recurs randomly for me (and randomly fixes itself).

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Are you connecting USB or network? 

Note, when right clicking on the printer icon there is a printer properties and properties. You need to select printer properties. This issue is often caused by Win 10 using a WSD port which often loses connection to the printer. If the printer is networked then you want to use a standard TCP/IP port and ensure that you turn off Windows print management. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Wireless, not USB connection.

Good point on Properties vs. Printer properties ... but this didn't solve the issue. 

I did eventually find another work around, but going to the printer itself and under the Services menu turning Smart Install to off.  Then I rebooted the printer and it connected as it always had ... at least for now.  This problem seems to recur every few months, possibly each time Windows updates, although I'm not entirely sure that is the problem.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.