Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 500 Color M551
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our printer is showing a 99.09.67 "not bootable" error message. I've tried reinstalling the latest firmware using both the external and internal USB ports, but when trying to download the firmware from the USB thumb drive, I keep getting a 99.02.20 download error. I'm having trouble finding more information on what this latter error message means and how to resolve it, ideally without having to replace the formatter with a new part.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The ssd drive has likely failed. In the picture below, (1) is the harddrive. Release retainer (2) and remove the drive. Connector (3) will mate with a standard SATA drive you just need to jury rig a retainer so it stays in place, double sided tape might be your friend here.

551 foramtter.jpg

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Jlt76,

Have you tried to do an Erase/Unlock or a Secure Erase and then download the firmware?

Make sure to have a FAT32 formatted USB thumbdrive with the latest firmware in its root directory.

I hope this may help,

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

When I try to do a Secure Erase, nothing happens, and the Erase/Unlock feature is grayed out. If I try to do an Erase/Unlock, it says "Selection not Available," and I don't have the admin password (and the option to clear the password is also not available). I've confirmed that the USB thumb drive is formatted as FAT32 and has the latest firmware, and I still keep getting the 99.02.20 error when trying to download the firmware. At this point we've decided to go ahead and replace the printer with a new one, rather than invest more time and money into the current machine.

HP Recommended

It must be the HDD/eMMC that is faulty then. 

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

OK, Thanks you. Hdd fails, and it not allow, any process with him involved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.