Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CP1025
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I seem to be having trouble getting my CP1025 printer to work in High Sierra. I've installed the printer drivers and the Printer utility talks to the printer ok but I get a 'Filter failed' message when I try to print.

Any Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JonTrepte, thank you for the response.

You are getting this error due to software incompatibility.

HP LaserJet CP1025 Color Printer is not supported with macOS 10.15 Catalina. HP LaserJet CP1025 Color Pinter driver for macOS 10.15 Catalina is not available from the HP website or Apple Software Update. However, Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) provides open-source basic print drivers for many printers that would otherwise not be supported in Mac OS X. To see if your printer is supported, go to Gutenprint drivers for more information.

NOTE: Gutenprint drivers are not supported by HP or Apple.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @JonTrepte

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the "Filter Failed" error.

To better assist you - 

1.) Do you have an HP LaserJet Pro CP1025 Color Printer or an HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer?

2.) What's the application you are trying to print from? 

While you respond to that, let's try updating your Mac using these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

If you are trying to print a PDF, try these steps -

Step#1 Print PDF as an image -

Refer to this document for steps.

Step#2 Print from Preview app -

Refer to these steps - Print PDFs and images in Preview on Mac

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita,

My apologies for my late reply. I have a CP1025 NON network version. It's connected via USB to a MacMini. I've upgraded to OS to Catalina. I've updated the printer firmware.

Driver version is 2.0.20120620

The printer shows correctly in Printer and Scanners

Th HP Print Utility has trouble connecting to the printer but it does show in devices.

I'm trying to print a pdf from Preview but I get a message saying 'Filter' failed.

Any ideas?

Kindest regards

Jon

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @JonTrepte

Have you tried printing the PDF as an image? You may also try printing from an alternate PDF app like Adobe. 

Try re-installing the driver using these steps - HP Printers - Uninstalling HP Printer Software (Mac)

Download and install the driver from here - HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita,

I have done all you suggested. 

Easy Start seems to have problems connecting to the printer.

Untitled 2.png

However the printer shows in printers and scanners. 

This is what I get printing a PDF in Preview or Safari

Untitled 3.png

 Still not working.

Help please

Kindest regards

Jon

HP Recommended

@JonTrepte

Try running a disk utility

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Done and no problems found!

HP Recommended

@JonTrepte

Thanks for getting back to us. HP LaserJet Pro CP1025 Color Printer driver for macOS 10.15 are not available from the HP website or Apple Software Update. However, Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) provides open-source basic print drivers for many printers that would otherwise not be supported in Mac OS X. To see if your printer is supported, go to Gutenprint drivers for more information.

NOTE: Gutenprint drivers are not supported by HP or Apple.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is what Gimprint says

Dear support,
I have a HP CP1025 and noticed that you don’t support it. Is there a driver thats close and compatible?
Kindest regards
Jon

It appears there are four HP printers with the designation of CP1025 in the name.  Unfortunately, they all seem to be host based printers. Therefore you have rely on HP for any drivers.  Gutenprint is unable to support any host based printer.
--
Matt
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think the printer is broken. It does power up and is discoverable by my mac, however it will not print the configuration page or allow me to change the position of the cartridges using the control panel switches.

Thanks for your help

Kindest regards

Jon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.