Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26nw is no longer printing.  Used to work, now doesn't print eventhough drivers appear to be installed correctly. 

Was on wired network, now tried direct USB to computer connection, ePrint, hard reset (unplugged cables from printer for a few minutes), disabled Windows firewall, antivirus, etc.  Cannot update firmware either (thinks printer is offline).  Printer is still under warranty, I bought it just four months ago and barely used it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It seems to work now after formatting computer.  The built-in Windows drivers must have had something to do with it.

BTW, the firmware update still doesn't work.  I don't remember if it used to work or not for this printer. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hello, @tkensei – Greetings!

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! I see by your post that you are having trouble with your HP printer. I will certainly do my best to help you 🙂

Going through your post, I understand that printer is having trouble printing with your LaserJet printer. 

To assist you with this issue, I need to know whether the printer can make a "Photocopy" or not. Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

If the copy comes out fine, then it means that the printer hardware is fine and the issue is with the printer drivers or the application. Let's try to fix this issue using HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR). PSDR is an automated tool which can diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Please go to http://hp.care/2bZ9w2q to download and run HP PSDR. Once you open the program, select your printer and click on “Fix Printing” to automatically diagnose and fix the issue.

If the issue persists, then I’d suggest you perform a clean install to try and fix the issue:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26nw to install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I have done all the above steps but still not working. 

Photocopy and Print test after installing drivers works fine.  HP Print and Scan Doctor found issues and fixed them.   But still does not print documents/websites.  I think the old drivers are still there somehow since I see "Copy 1" in the name of the new drivers.  

HP Recommended

Hello, @tkensei 

It looks like an issue with the printer drivers on your PC. Please try the steps below to perform a clean install to try and fix the issue:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26nw to install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

As I already mentioned I have done the above steps but it does not completely remove all traces of the drivers.

HP Recommended

Hello, @tkensei

If the above steps are not removing the complete printer drivers, then remove the printer driver from the registry. Let’s first take a backup of the registry to avoid any unwanted damage or to revert back to its original settings. Follow the steps below to create a registry back up and to delete the printer entries.

• Press “Windows logo key” + “R” to get the run pop-up window. Type “regedit” and press ok.
  • To back up the entire registry, click Computer. Click “File”, and then click “Export”. Type a name for the backup file and save the backup copy to the location of your choice.
  • Now, to delete the printer drivers, expand the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” – “SYSTEM” – “CurrentControlSet” – Scroll down to “Print”.
  • Expand “Environments” – “Windows x64” – “Drivers” – Right-click on any HP LaserJet and delete the same. Also, expand “Print processors” under Windows x64 and delete all folders except “winprint”.
  • Minimize “Environments” and expand “Monitors” – Delete all the folders which start with “HP” (Only keep Local port, Microsoft shared.., Standard TCP/IP, USB monitor, and WSD port)
  • Minimize “Monitors” and expand “Printers” – Delete all the folders which say “HP Officejet..”
  • Check the fig below for reference.

Registry printer driver.JPG

Restart the pc once done and then try to reinstall the printer drivers.

Let me know how that goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

It seems to work now after formatting computer.  The built-in Windows drivers must have had something to do with it.

BTW, the firmware update still doesn't work.  I don't remember if it used to work or not for this printer. 

HP Recommended

@tkensei

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Good to know that issue is fixed.

Feel free to contact us in feature if you need any assistance.

And click here and refer the document to update the printer firmware.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The manual firmware update does not work.   When I press "Update" it thinks my printer is not connected when it is. 

This is the firmware I downloaded : https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m25-m27-series/936541...

I tried following the instructions to update firmware directly from printer, but I don't see the option "Product Update" or "Check Product Updates" or "Printer Update", etc.   Maybe my printer does not have this option?   

HP Recommended

Hello, @tkensei

Your printer does not have the option to update the printer firmware directly. 

You need to download the firmware and update the same. If unable to update via wireless, try to use the USB cable to update the firmware. 

Let me know how that goes!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.