Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer: HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdn

Serial: [Personal Information Removed]

Formatter serial: [Personal Information Removed]

Service code: [Personal Information Removed]

Auto document provider: installed (sorry for my English :))

So, HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdn connected by lan, sometimes hangs and don't printing. 

When we bought it, I tried to download drivers, gone to HP support site, and downloaded drivers for HP 428 fdn.

https://support.hp.com/ru-ru/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m428-m429-series/19202485
File name : LJM428-M429_Full_WebPack_48.3.4530.exe

When I installed it, drivers didn't see a printer, neither by USB, not by LAN 🙂

So I uninstalled this drivers, and downloaded HPEasyStart_10_5_4216_12.exe

This utility downloaded another drivers ?! LJM428f-M429f_UW_Full_WebPack_48.3.4530+.exe

(Can anybody explain the difference and what UW index means?)

This drivers successfully recognized LAN printer.
But sometimes printer just don't print, with last status shown, like "No paper". When I add a paper, nothing happens.

I am trying to restart job - nothing. Printer restart solves a problem, until next hanging. 

Tried to connect by USB - same problem. Tried to upgrade firmware - last version already.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The problem we find with the WSD port is that if the printer goes offline due to supply issue (out of paper) or other issues, the status is not updated once the problem is resolved and you have to restart the printer to get the system to reset. In terms of scanning, simply download the Universal scanning software. It is designed for enterprise products but works with the pro products as well.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

If connected via network, ensure that the port type being used by the driver is a standard tCP/IP and not a WSD port. Also make sure to turn off Windows Print Management as it has proven problematic as well.  

Additionally, if in your position, I would install the HP UPD 6.9 driver not the discrete machine specific driver.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, WSD port used exactly in my case, please can you explain, why WSD is bad, 

WSD port has been set up by official HP driver.

I installed universal driver, it uses WSD port too.

Now trying to setup scan software, universal driver not have it

P.S. Printer now have firmware TETONXXXXN002.1924A.00 from 2019-06-11
And I found newer firmware TETONXXXXN002.2002B.00 on HP site, https://support.hp.com/ru-ru/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m428-m429-series/1920...
but not sure is this firmware can be applied to my printer.

Release notes: https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/552/col91864-releasenotesfiles_teton2.html

Also, when I search updates in printer's embedded web page, printer can't find new firmware

This firmware contains a big list of bug fixes, and one is: Corrected an issue with PJL INFO STATUS during device is ready

I suppose this can be my case. 

HP Recommended

The problem we find with the WSD port is that if the printer goes offline due to supply issue (out of paper) or other issues, the status is not updated once the problem is resolved and you have to restart the printer to get the system to reset. In terms of scanning, simply download the Universal scanning software. It is designed for enterprise products but works with the pro products as well.

HP Recommended

Successfully updated this new January 2020 firmware, with printer connected by lan.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m428-m429-f-series/19...

I was wait for 15 minutes, nothing was happened. Gone to lunch, returned in an hour - success.

So firmware update process can be so long, don't worry :). Now will wait for next hanging, if it will happen, and will try something else.

HP Recommended

You was right, I've changed port to Standart TCP/IP port, and printer now works fine. Thanks a lot.

HP Recommended

Good day, may I ask you a question? When I add Standard TCP/IP port manually instead of WSD port,  i have two printers in the system, and cannot delete one of them. Is it possible to solve?

P.S. I think I've found a solution, install printer with Universal Driver, then delete it, install printer via "Add printer" in control panel and choose not "Automatic", but "TCP/IP" port. So only one printer will be installed. Then install "HP Smart" app from MS store for scanning. 

In my country this is calling "Dancing with a tambourine" 😂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.