Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a brand new MFP and I can't fax from my computer. I was able to do this with my previous HP OfficeJet 8500 wireless. It's the same computer and the same wiring. The only thing that has changed is my printer.

I receive

HP LaserJet Send Fax Fatal Error

Unable to communicate with the device

The device may be disconnected, powered off, or its network settings may have changed

Any ideas?

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Please confirm if the full software installation of M425dw was successfull without any errors.

Certain times multiple device installations on single computer might cause software/driver conflict and functions like scan and fax could be affected.

Hope that you have uninstalled software/driver for your earlier device and installed full solution for M425dw.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended
yes everything installed correctly and there are no other devices installed.
HP Recommended

Please provide details about device's connectivity method with your computer.  Are you able to send faxes if initiated from device's control panel?  Are all other functions (print, scan , copy)  working fine without any errors?

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem.  In my case things were workng fine for a few weeks after a fresh install of the new printer.  Now multiple computers in my small business are not able to fax out directly.  We can fax from the machine and printing functions are working fine.

Thanks for any help. 

My machine is a laserjet pro 400 MFP

HP Recommended

Generally uninstall and fresh install with full software should resolve these issues.

HP Recommended

Are you by any change working with Windows 8.1?

With Windows 8.1 this is a known problem without any workaround for it.

I have the same problem with the M475DW.

On several forum's here this problem is mentioned and for now there is no solution until there probably is an update of the HP software.

HP Recommended

There are 2 parallel discussions on this:

/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/MFP-M475DW-and-problem-faxing-with-Windows-8-1/m-p/6385103/highligh...

HP are FULLY aware of the incompatibility of the printers with Windows 8.1; it relates to an issue with internet explorer.

HP Recommended

Just registered to confirm, We have the same issues in our company with the HP LaserJet Pro 400 MFP M425dn.

Send fax is working normaly on a computer running Windows Xp, Windows 7 64 bit (updates off), but on the Windows 8.1 update 1 I get a Fatal Error Unable to communicate with the device as mentioned above.

thanks, ClaxtonHouse for making a stand (as seen in the other topic)

/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/LaserJet-M570dn-CZ271A-MS-Patchday-November-2013-turns-Send-Fax/td-...

Hp really needs to sort this out, its a needed feature of the mentioned MFPs.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.