Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet P1505
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My client has an older LaserJet P1505.  When we try to connect to a USB 3.0 port...(which is the only type of USB port the client has) a troubleshooting error appears stating that it needs to be inserted into a USB 2.0 port.

Is there a driver upgrade for the printer to support USB 3.0 or is new printer in order?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information @KSM503.

Make sure you are connecting the USB cable directly to the Surface Pro 4 ports and not the docking station. Then it should be recognized.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Welcome @KSM503,

Thanks for participating in the forums!  I see you are experiencing issues with the printer being recognized and you are getting the error "the printer needs to be inserted into a USB 2.0 port". I would be happy to help you. 

A USB 2.0 cable should work on a USB 3.0 port as long as you are using a USB 2.0 cable.
The 3.0 ports are supposed to be backwards compatible.

Make sure you are downloading and running the drivers first, then you will be prompted to connect the printer:  ljP1000_P1500-HB-pnp-win64-en.exe The plug and play drivers are the latest drivers available for Windows 10.

You might have to go into the Device Manager and remove the printer if it is showing as an unknown device: How to open Windows Device Manager.

Is this a Laptop or a Desktop?

Feel free to click on the "Accept as Solution" and the "Thumbs Up" if this helped. Please let me know the results. Best Regards,

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your reply.   I'll try your suggestion.  

This is for a Surface Pro 4 with a docking station and all USB ports are 3.0.

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information @KSM503.

Make sure you are connecting the USB cable directly to the Surface Pro 4 ports and not the docking station. Then it should be recognized.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

We actually plugged the printer into the docking station and it still worked perfectly fine.  The client is happy with their HP printer again.

thanks for your support!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.