Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
su3686
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Laserjet 2300 Resolution not adjustable with universal driver?!

Laserjet 2300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I bought a second-hand HP Laserjet 2300 to print out on Toner-Transfer-Paper. I am using Windows 10. I downloaded the recommended HP universal driver (PCL and PS) and the printer worked. However, resolution seems to be always the same and does not change when I change the software settings. I called HP and they told me that with the universal driver, max. dpi is ~300. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? Can this Printer really print out with 1200 dpi? What can I do to print with 1200 dpi?
Grateful for any help
Michael

8 REPLIES 8
Level 11
Level 11
3,596 3,567 223 574
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Universal Print Drivers can support a range of DPIs.  Check to see which ones are supported for your current UPD and printer combination.

To check Print Quality:

1. Navigate to the Printer Preferences window for your printer

2. Click the Paper/Quality tab

3. Under Print Quality, Change the current setting in the drop down box

4. Choose another setting and try again

For example when I open the UPD PS 6.7.0 driver settings for my M553 I see the following options:

- Best

- 600 dpi

- FastRes 1200

- ImageREt 3600

- General Office

- Professional

If you have already tried these options then perhaps your printer is too old to sync up with the current UPDs.  You would need to find a model specific driver and convert it to work with Win10 or try another legacy driver that is supported by Win10 and hope it works for your printer model.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

0 Kudos
su3686
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, John. No, unfortunately that is not working. I also tried to install Win XP driver and others but still it is not printing with full resolution nor does resolution change.

0 Kudos
Level 11
Level 11
2,999 2,994 345 444
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you having trouble changing your resolution in print driver or you can change the resolution but the print result is the same regardless of resolution?

View my profile on LinkedIn
0 Kudos
su3686
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, the latter. I can change the settings in the printer driver and in the printer itself (which will be overwritten by the driver settings) but nothing changes. 

Cheers 

Michael 

0 Kudos
Level 11
Level 11
2,999 2,994 345 444
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe you are having a hardware issue with the printer.  Can you post samples printed in 300 and 600 dpi, and a printers internal demo page?

0 Kudos
su3686
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, yes I can do that later. 

Note that I phone-called HP support. They asked the technical staff and told me that maximum DPI is about 300 with the UPD. 

Cheers 

0 Kudos
Level 11
Level 11
2,999 2,994 345 444
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Use your XP computer for printing in highest resolution if you can.

0 Kudos
su3686
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't have an XP computer. I only tried an XP driver. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation