Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 600 M602
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a printer issue that I have been trying to figure out. When the paper feeds from the drawer, it hangs right at the toner. When the paper feeds from the manual feed at the front, it feeds 2 sheets. One immediately following the other, usually a pause before the second sheet feeds. Then there is some clicking on the second sheet and it jams. The errors in the log are:

13.B2.D1 Misfeed jam, from tray 1

13.B2.D2 Late to registration jam, from tray 2

I have updated to the latest firmware. Installed a maintenance kit with all new rollers. Everything is clean. 

This has now just started on a second printer. Both aren't more than 3 or 4 years old. I have wicked old 4050's and 4250's that I haven't had issues like this with. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Could be a few things: 

You said it gets stuck right at the edge of the toner.  Is the drum of your toner turning? We have seen many of these units using reman or generic toner "locking up" the drum.  Right when the paper gets there is when the drum starts to rotate.  If it's stuck, it will throw a 13 error or a motor error. 

Also, look at the transfer roller. That is the thin black roller that is right under where the toner drum lines up.  Is there a blue gear on the side of it?  I've seen those pop off.

It could be the set of rollers in the tray.  Check the blue rollers in the tray.  There are two.  One in the paper cassette and one in the machine.  If they lose grip, that may be a little short of transferring "movement" from those rollers to the transfer roller/toner.  If those blue rollers are nice and smooth, yea...  You nailed it.

Last, and not as common, there is a set of rollers as wide as the machine located behind the multipurpose tray (Tray 1) assembly.  These require a good tech or a very, very good hobbyist who is excellent at figuring out how to take things apart and reassembling them.

HP Recommended

It could be a sticking sensor flag or dirty sensor. 

A safe option to always try is a Power Reset to eliminate a possible logic or power issue:
First, make sure the printer is plugged straight into a wall outlet and not a power strip, surge protector or UPS.

With the printer plugged in and powered ON, disconnect the power cord from the printer. This will hopefully dissipate any electricity stored in the printer that could be hindering it.
Wait at least 30, preferably 60 seconds.

If there is a power switch, turn it to the OFF position.
Plug the power cable back into the printer.
Turn the printer ON with the power switch.

HP Recommended
Spoiler
This is generic rule 1 with almost anything in IT. Reboot... did that, thanks.
HP Recommended

You have some good stuff there. I have replaced all of the rollers blue, white, manual feed rollers, etc. I have an HP, not generic, toner in it. I am actually seeing 2 things. When it feeds from the tray 2, it stops at the toner roller. When I manual feed from the front, it will feed two sheets. One immediately following the other. The first sheet will come out and the second sheet fed will start clicking and stop about halfway into the fuser with a jam and the error code 13.B2.D2. I have tones of 4050, 4200, 4250's and I have never seen this issue with any of them and they are older than dirt, but still chugging along well.

HP Recommended

Hey AdminKen,

It sounds like you may have a sticky solenoid.   There is some sound reducing padding on the arm of the solenoid that quiets the clacking.  Sometimes it wears through and it pretty much turns into something like a really sticky goo.  It makes the arm hang up causing multi-feeds. 

Remove the right panel, put the lid and other parts back on, then run a few pages.  No fingers in the running motors!  Those motors have some seriously powerful torque.   Look for the arm hanging up.  You can use a goo/glue remover to get all of it off.  It will now make clacking noise.  You can put something on it, like some tape or padding of some sort.

See if this helps.

G

HP Recommended

To AdminKen

Spoiler
A Power Reset and Reboot are two very different things. A Reboot is simply to turn it OFF and the back ON and does not remove power from the device while powered On, whereas a Power Reset is designed to drain all power stored in the power supply capacitors to return the device to essentially a zero electrical state both logic and electrical wise. It can make a difference in some instances.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.