Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
hp laserjet pro m12w "unable to send data to printer" mac
macOS 10.14 Mojave

hello,

i've found many similar problems in the forums but none of the solutions work for me. 

my apple software is all up to date. 

i'm using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) note: i had this same problem on my older iMac as well.

my printer is plugged in via usb. when i print ii may get one thing printed but then the next will give the message "Printing - Unable to send data to printer" in the queue.

i've tried to reset my printer and re-add it many times.

i've uninstalled and reinstalled the software many times (including many different versions of the software from this and the apple sites).

printing has never worked via wi-fi.

thank you,

a

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@andrewb, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To provide you with an accurate solution, I would like to know the following:

• Are you facing this issue while printing from any particular application or all applications?
  • Is the printer firmware updated? If you are not sure, refer to this link for help.
  • If the printer is connected to your wireless network, perform a ping test and share the results.

Here is how you do it:

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon https://support.hp.com/wps/hp-skp-portlets/document/attachments/162/c02131772.gif on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost

https://lithium-response-prod.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/hpcsc.response.lithium.com/RESPONSEIMAGE/a562bd24-9ac8-4aaa-9094-650dc6d7c059.default.jpg

Note: There should be 0% packet loss

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!  

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you, TEJ1602.

i mostly try to print from Acrobat, but have the problem from multiple other programs as well including Word, Excel, Preview, Mail, and Photoshop

the printer firmware is up to date

the printer is connected via USB cable.

i've since tried printing with two additional apple computers with no success. 

HP Recommended

@andrewb

To assist you better please check these details and keep me posted

- Do you have any Antivirus installed on your Mac?

It is very important to confirm with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets' if you wish to print wirelessly

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Did you perform the Ping Test as suggested in the earlier Post? May I know the outcome of the Test?

If both the wireless and USB connection don't work, I suggest you reset the printing system

Resetting the printing system removes all printers and scanners from the printers queue and clears all print jobs and print settings from the system, including printers and scanners that are not from HP. 

Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01371980

Let me know how it goes

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I never said anything like that. I said it will not get passed wait image. Printer has been working wirelessly on my network for years. Cannot find the correct firmware.

HP Recommended

hello,

thanks for your reply, KraztToad. 

per ear my original note, i’m not trying to print wirelessly. yes, i did follow the ping instructions. no i don’t have an antivirus. i have no issue with bonjour.

as i originally noted i’ve already reset my printers multiple times. 

any other suggestions?

thanks

HP Recommended

@andrewb

Thank you for the response.

Check if the printer is recognized by your MAC

1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus

If the printer is not detected, try connecting the printer to a different USB port on the MAC.

The USB cable should be connected directly between the MAC and the printer and should not be longer than 3 meters.

Once the printer is detected under USB 2.0 ports, Re-install the printer driver available via Apple software update

1.) Use the steps available here to update the software on Mac.

2.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

3.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

4.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

5.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

7.) Try to print.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank KUMAR0307,

i followed those directions. there was a delay because i decided for a while not to be further frustrated by this stupid printer. i've now thought i would try again.

i followed your most recent steps including:

yes, my mac recognizes the printer. 

my mac software is up to date

i removed the printer (it's the only one)

i re-added the printer

i still get the same problem "unable to send data to printer"

HP Recommended

@andrewb

Try creating a New User Account in MAC and print from the new Account. 

Please refer to this Link: https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for the reply.

i just started another brand new account and tried again to no avail. 

i’ve now tried on 4 different accounts on 5 different computers with multiple combo variations across them. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.