Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro MFP M177fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried unplugging for hours and cannot get out of the HP Entergy star logo on the touch screen.  This issue came up after a resent firmnware update.  Our organization has three of these printers.  Overall, I need to reset the NVRAM.  Can someone please help!   Dave

90 REPLIES 90
HP Recommended

@DavidOlson2018

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message with the reset instructions,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I tried reaching out to the HP support group but the printers are out of service.  Any other options or ways to hard reset the NVRAM?

Dave

HP Recommended

1. Turn the product off.

2. Press the right arrow button. Hold this button as you turn the product on.

3. When Permanent storage init. appears on the display, release the right arrow button. When the product has finished the NVRAM initialization, it returns to the Ready state.

HP Recommended

Hi PSSG,

Unfortunently, this does not work.   I have tried a few different methods to reset the NVRAM but nothing at this point has reset the NVram memory.

Things tried 

1. Power on with right arrow and the Red X held down. Stays the same (Stuck at HP & Energy Star on screen) The Permanent storage init. does not show when I do this step)
  2. Power on with just the right arrow pushed down. Stays the same (Stuck at HP & Energy Star on screen) The Permanent storage init. does not show when I do this step)
  3. When I place finger on the screen bottom area of the touch screen it will then have the message Permanent storage init.  on the display. 

At this point after power down and holding down Right Arrow and X or just right arrow nothing happens after power up other then it  making a few noises when it tests the cartiridges during the warming up stage.

I did flash to the latest firmware before this issue cropped up a day later. It did print for a day before this issue started.x

20180208 23.9 MB May 29, 2018

Dave

HP Recommended

Hi!  I have the same problem and I tried all methods from this thred but I allways see HP & Energy Star or "Permanent storage init" on screen.

Are there any others ways to solve this problem?

HP Recommended

@cusl,

Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support community!

• What is the model of your printer?

Let's try these steps:(Ignore if already performed)

• Disconnect USB/Network/FAX and power on Standalone unit.

• Check and remove any packaging material inside the printer and toner cartridge.

• Try a different power source.

• Perform a power cycle by unplugging the power cord while the power is on and plug it back.

• Perform a power drain by disconnecting the power cord from the back of the printer and keeping the power button pressed for 30 seconds and in case of power, switch keep the switch in ON position for 30 seconds before reconnecting the power chord.

• Verify and update with the latest firmware.

• Refer to this link to update the printer firmware.
  • Turn Off the printer for 3 min and then try turning On the unit.

Let me know if this information helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! Thank for your help.

My model is HP Laserjet Pro MFP M177fw. I tried all of these steps. Updating firmware return error. As far as i know the problem occurred after an unsuccessful update attempt.

HP Recommended

@cusl,

Let's try performing an NVRAM Initialization on the printers.

NVRAM Initialization differs from one printer model to another.

I will send you a private message that would have the steps to perform the initialization.

Note: Resetting/Performing the NVRAM initialization resets the printer to the factory settings and would erase all configurations like your Wireless settings, Fax settings, and other preferences. You have to re-do the set up once again.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Can you please provide the steps necessary to reset the nvram as well please? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.