Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
iOS

Hi, I want to print remote on my HP M15W from an ipad with IOS 5 using Wi-Fi. My router is an O2 homebox 6641. I pressed the router key  "WLAN/WPS" for 3 sec, and after that the key "continue/stop" on my printer for 3 sec. The status right now is that I can see the printer as a Wi-Fi address on my ipad, but when I try to use it for printing, I am asked for a password. When I enter the correct router password, which is used for all Wi-Fi connections on iphone and ipad so far,  ist says "password wrong". My suggestion is that the connection between the printer and the rooter is not successfull. Who can give me a suggestion, how I can accomplish a correct Wi-Fi connection? Thx for your help. debutat in Germany

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Did somebody see my entry? And nobody can give me a hint?

HP Recommended

@debutat, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Connect your Apple device directly to the printer with Wi-Fi Direct or HP wireless direct.

note:

The following steps temporarily disconnect your Apple device from the Internet. If you are printing web-based content such as emails, webpages, or cloud-based documents, open them before proceeding.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on, ink cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main tray.

2. On your Apple iOS device, tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi.

3. Under the Choose a network menu, select your printer with DIRECT in the name.

4. If prompted for a password, type 12345678. This is the default password to log in.

5. Open the document, photo, email, or webpage you want to print, and then tap the Share icon or .

6. Tap Print or the Print icon to open Printer Options.

7. Tap Select Printer to select your printer.

8. Reconnect to your local Wi-Fi network after the print job completes.

Let me know if this works. If yes, I can help you further bring the printer on the network.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hallo TEJ1602, I really appreciate your precise explanations. Unfortunally, it did not work - at least with my test equipement which I use at home (the M15W/O2 router installation of my partner is located at her home, which is a little far away). I tested your suggestions with my own HP 7520 and my iphone:

Step 1 is fulfilled (the blue lamp of the 7520 printer glows permanently).

Step 2 stops further steps because no printer is offered and entering DIRECT gives "no network found with this name".

May I repeat my objective again: I do not want to ask my parter to start several different actions in order to print a document from her ipad. I look for a solution, where her M15W printer of course has to be switched on, but besides that she should tap a "Print key" (or similar) on her ipad only during display of a document to be printed. Even a switch from the standard Wi-Fi name to another "printer Wi-Fi" and after printing reverse is - sorry - too complicate for her.

Another info, which I did not give so far: Her Windows 7 PC is connected thru an USB cable with the M15W printer. The same is true with my 7520 printer which is USB-connected with my Windows 7 PC.

Thx a lot for your assistance. I hope, you can find a solution for my problems.

Regards, debutat

HP Recommended

@debutat

Thanks for replying!

Refer to the document HP Printers - Printing from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch for help on using the AirPrint option from the iPad.  Also, you can use the HP Printers - Install and Use the HP Smart App to learn how to use the printer using HP Smart App.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi TEJ1602, thx a lot for your suggestions. I am so glad to find somebody for to help me. Yes, I want to use Air-Printing.

For activating WPS, I am not sure about which key I have to pust on the M15W printer, and I wonder about what key I have to push on the O2 homebox 6641 router.

As you should know, the printer has only 3 keys and lamps at the top side and no display panel. Is it correct, when I press the third key (the nearest key to the rear) in order to use WPS? This is what I did so far.

The O2 homebox 6641 has 3 keys at the top rear side, where the middle one names "WLAN/WPS". Is it correct when I use this middle key or do I have to push either the left or right of it to activate WPS? Sorry to ask you about an O2 hardware, but I could not find somebody so far else to ask about, and the manual does not explain it explicitely. I hope you are able and willing to answer this question.

Another question remains: Do I have to disconnect my HP printer from the momentory USB connection to the Windows 7 PC, when I use Air-Print? And how do I manage the PC Air-printing when doing it? Again, I know this is a Windows question, but you might know about.

I appreciate all your answers. Best regards, debutat

HP Recommended

@debutat

To connect the printer to the wireless network, press and hold the Wireless button on the printer control panel for 3 secs. Next, press the WLAN?WPS button on the router for 3 secs.

The wireless light will become solid once the connection is established.

AirPrint is an option only for Apple devices. On windows, there is no AirPrint option.

You can connect the printer on both USB and wireless.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi TEJ1602, I tried to do what you suggest for a WPS connection between the M15W and the O2 router several times before. As a result so far, the printer name is shown on my ipad when I change WLAN  by entering properties/WLAN/other. After entering the printer name, the system asks for a password. When I choose "printing" during ipad display of a document, the system replies "no air printer found". So far, the blue light on the M15W is always blinking and not solid. Regarding all of that,  I interpret that the WPS connection is not fulfilled correctly.

I am not sure if I used the correct keys for activating WPS. That's the reason that I aked you about the physics of the M15W and th O2 6641. Again my corresponding questions:

a) Is the third key on the top of M15W, which is the last key to the rear of the printer, is that the key which I have to push for 3 sec? Should I send you a photo of my M15W printer keys in order to explain? How can I do this?

b) and the corresponding question about the O2 6641 router: There are three keys which I could press on top of the router, left and right regular keys, inbetween a longer key with the name "WLAN/WPS" (But is that a key or just a display?). Which one is the correct key to push for 3 sec? Should I send you a photo of my O2 6641 router top keys? How?

You obviously misunderstood my question about the USB cable connection of the printer with the PC. I know that cable or air connection to a printer is possible, but I wanted to ask if I should change the USB cable from PC connection to M15W connection, or if I can leave it as it is while enabeling WPS between the printer and the router. This is still not known to me.

Sorry to bother you, and thx for your willingness to help me.

Regards debutat

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try connecting the printer to your network using the HP Smart app, by following 'Connect a printer that does not have a touchscreen control panel > Step 2: Connect the printer with the HP Smart app' below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05987925

To reset your printer's wireless settings and enter setup mode, Press and hold the Wireless button for more than 20 seconds, until the Attention light blinks and the printer restarts, then you would see an HP-Setup-M15 network available.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi, the smart app seams to work only with windows 10, but i am running windows 7. Should I try it anyway? Regards debutat

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.