Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M180nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this printer at multiple small offices around the country for the last two years.  no issues until last week, not sure what office or windows 10 update has halted printing.  i've tried remove device, reinstall, direct ip, usb but i can only get a test print at best.  tried the HP print and scan doctor which didn't do much.  any suggestions.  i don't want to reimage these laptops!

print test goes to queue then prints

from any MS app, job seems to print but job never shows in queue

is there a true cleaner tool so i can really start from scratch on install?  

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

If you remove the printer(uninstall) it usually leaves the printer port on the machine.  If you reinstall the printer its possible its using the old print port and that is whats not working.  Windows may be sending you print jobs into the void.  After you print, check the "See whats printing" tab of your printer.  If its shows there then its at least being processed by the print spooler service. You can try uninstalling the printer again and then re adding it using the add printer menu in windows.  When it opens up and starts scanning for printer, click the option "my printer is not on the list" at the bottom of the window.  Then you can add the device AND create a new, more accurate port for your printer. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying, I've already uninstalled/reinstalled, added and deleted ports.  assumed WSD was the issue so went with direct ip which creates a somewhat duplicate entry that will print test pages.  in general nothing gets to queue from MS products at all.   if you have any other ideas besides wipe and reimage their laptops, let me know!  

HP Recommended

Where are you printing the test page from?  From a windows system menu or HP printer management software?  Do you use group policy to manage the devices?

HP Recommended

from see what's printing old fashion view of queue and hit test print in printer properties.  I can't control gp on this.. seems like recent windows 10 upgrade causing issue as they have worked fine in win7 and win10 over last couple of years.  going to try generic hp printer drives but don't want to lose MFD functionality which is working except for printing.

HP Recommended

A different driver may well be the solution.  You might want to first try rolling back the current driver to a previous version as well.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with both of our LaserJet Printers (MFP180 and MFP M227).  I am unable to print to either one from Windows 10.  I have deleted everything and resinstalled several times for both with no luck.  We are able to print to both printers from a Windows 7 machine.   I don't know when this problem happened but I assume it was a Windows 10 recent Update.  I noticed it a couple of days ago when I was unable to print from Chrome - it changed it to "Print to PDF" instead of the printer.

HP Recommended

Does it still have your printer listed in the drop down menu where Print to PDF is selected?

HP Recommended

Yes ... both printers are listed.  Sometimes Chrome will actually shut down when I try to print.

HP Recommended

It appears there are others having issues with this and it points to the recent KB4524147 update (mine was done October 4th).  I am currently uninstalling it and will let you know if it fixes the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.