Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP M281fdw

I am considering buying the HP M281fdw and have one last question:

If any of the color toners gets empty, will I still be able to print in black/white or in grayscale?

Furthermore, will the rest of functions (scanning, copying) be still available?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @expogl, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you need to know if you can print in black or greyscale when the color toners are empty.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

As you mentioned you need to know if you can print in black or greyscale when the color toners are empty.

Your printer is designed to print only when all ink cartridges have ink. A little ink from all the ink cartridges is used in periodic servicing tasks. This helps to prevent issues such as printhead clogs and poor print quality. There is no way to bypass this feature.

It is very hard to diagnose a problem without seeing exactly what you're doing. However, here are a few ideas.

The problem could be how the printer is turned off. When you use the power button, it gives the printer a chance to "park" the print carriage which holds the cartridges in a position that covers the nozzles and keeps the ink from drying and clogging things up. If the printer is turned off with a power strip or the like, the cartridges can dry out and the printhead nozzles clog.

Check the ink level on your printer and replace the low ink cartridge.

Refer this article to know more information when one of the HP Ink cartridges is empty.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

It is likely that what you mention aboout the use of color toners during servicing tasks applies to both inkjet and laser printers. Anyways, I am not aware of any way to double check this.

Please keep in mind that my original question refers to a laser printer. The link that you provided is for inkjet printers.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@expogl, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

I was certain about sharing the document because both the printers use the same rules to print.

When there is no ink left color toners on your printer you cannot print in grayscale or in black and white.

Replace the toner cartridge when the toner becomes empty as it may cause an image drum error.
([Color name] indicates one of the following: C or Cyan, M or Magenta, Y or Yellow, K or Black.)

You can continue printing in monochrome if there is black (K) toner left even when the cyan (C), magenta (M) or yellow (Y) toner or any combinations of them are empty.(*)

*Some printer driver settings use cyan (C), magenta (M), yellow (Y) for monochrome printing. In such cases, you will not be able to print without the cyan (C), magenta (M) or yellow (Y) toner.

*The printing may also stop without the cyan (C), magenta (M) or yellow (Y) toner when you are using envelopes, labels, glossy paper, post cards, Japanese Double PostCard, Card Stock, etc. or under a high temperature/humidity environment.

*Monochrome printing without color toners may damage the color image drums. Please replace the color toner cartridges.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.