Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M604dn Enterprise LaserJet

I recently installed the newest firmware on our M604dn, and now it won't complete "Initializing." I've reinstalled the firmware several times using a thumb drive, tried a power drain, reseated the eMMC. The startup seems to go fine all the way 1-->8, then goes through "Starting," then to "Initializing," and it counts forever. Any help would be appreciated.

I've seen suggestions to reset the NVRAM, but can't find instructions on how to do that for this printer.

Thanks for any help!

Ben

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @MathBen,

Instead of reinstalling the firmware again try Format Disk or Erase/Unlock it anad then Download Firmware (FAT32 formatted USB flash disk, delete the firmware file and re-download it from official HP site).

1) Enter pre-boot menu by pressing X button when 1/8 appears

2) Administrator -> Format Disk

3) Administrator -> Download -> USB Thumbdrive

4) back to Continue

or

1) Enter pre-boot menu by pressing X button when 1/8 appears

2) Administrator -> Manage Disk -> Boot Device -> Erase/Unlock

3) Administrator -> Download -> USB Thumbdrive

4) back to Continue

I hope that helps,

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

Thanks, @Alex-TATS. I've tried these both multiple times. Format Disk returns instantly to the same screen after confirming action (leading me to believe it is not actually formatting the disk), and Erase/Unlock is greyed out. I did Secure Erase once, which allowed me to install new firmware; but now even that option immediately returns to the same screen  (so I believe no Secure Erase is actually happening). 

HP Recommended
FutureSmart devices generally have a partial clean and a full clean option, I would do the full clean and then attempt to load from tthe USB drive.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Thanks, @SHThompson. "Format" is the closest to "Full clean," and as I said above, that's not helping. Still "initializing" forever. Cold reset doesn't help either.

I take it nobody knows how to reset the NVRAM? Or is that a bogus idea to try?

Ben

HP Recommended

Replacing the eMMC and then the formatter would be my next thoughts on this issue.

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended
That's a fairly new printer is it still in warranty?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

18 months; out of warranty.

Tried new eMMC. Can't spend $400 on new formatter for $600 printer.

Thanks for the help, everyone. If anyone learns how to reset NVRAM, let me know.

HP Recommended
HP does not post the manuals for that machine online but you can probably find them somewhere else.

If you send me a pm during regular work hours then hopefully I'll remember to actually look it up I do have the manuals at work.

HP Recommended
Just got to thinking, if you had it for 18 months there is a possibility you paid for it with a credit-card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty.

I use my Discover card for expensive electronics because they definitely double the manufacturer's warranty but other cards do the same.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.