Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Oh God, I'm back here because of this sodding printer!

My last HP Officeijet all in one kept turning itself off (among other faults, such as continually maintaining itself or jumping around like a bloody kangaroo) and I wisely got rid of it. Unwisely, I bought another Officejet all in one printer (Pro 6960) and found it did exactly the same thing using WiFi!. After many weeks of trials and several hours on the phone to HP, we got it to stay on connected by Ethernet, thus sacrificing the advantages of Wifi and this stopped the bloody thing turning off and being inaccessible over WiFi. Unfortunately, the colour printing then got very bad - blue quite often printing as red) so I uninstalled everything as advised by the troubleshooter and started again. I now have the printer connected on Ethernet and again can't stop it turning off! (even though it's not meant to if it's on a network!). Anyone able to save what's left of my sanity before Coronavirus gets me?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Tombar1

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to update the firmware: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Are the copies also of poor quality? Have you tried another wall outlet? 

Try the steps from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-6960-all-in-one-printer-series/8289579/documen...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Not easy to reply, as I need to send screenshots

Update software - the printer Settings/Printer maintenance/update printer says it's up to date

Settings on the printer show  Sleep Mode after 5 min and Autosleep after 8 h. The manual says Autosleep shouldn't happen if connected to a network, but this is what cuts the power off

HP Support Assistant wasn't called using the method you gave me. HP Support Assistant run by downloading it and running it says an update is available. Clickin on this downloads it and tries to install the update, but fails  error code 2753.

It then tries to find and download a solution which is to run Troubleshooter, but following the instructions (essentially reboot without non-essential services) doesn't help.

I'd already spent a whole day trying different installs that don't work

Update 2/4

I forgot to say that the two other options for install - download file over internet and run, and HP Smart both say the printer is up to date

Today.

Jpg files viewed in Irfranview fail to print - it simply closes the view window. Same files in , say Windows Photo Viewer or Office, print with mainly red vertical bands instead of blue, then white bands instead of blue and red is now yellow.

HP Print and Scan Doctor says there are no problems with printing, but fails to print a test page. Clicking on the blue option for No Print simply greys it out and the programmer freezes

Also no HP products whatsoever are listed in Programs and Features

Printed test page from printer - no red. Cleaned 3 times - got back red, but blue very variable, from dark to non-existent and doesn't print at all hardly for an alignment scan, Replaced blue cartridge, though supposedly half full. Some small white bands on blue printout , cleaned - now darker blue and green line on print out and blue and green both fainter. Not really worth faffing about any more until at least the printer and the rest of the HP stuff appears in Programs and Features

HP Recommended

Anyone there?

The first thing to do is a couplet uninstall, but how do I do that when no HP items are listed in Programs and Features? (and why are they not?!!!)

HP Recommended

Regarding the quality of printouts, since it's still poor, I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Seems to be printing OK now, but, since I have no HP products in Programs and Features, but do in the Apps list from clicking on the Windows icon, and also Print and Scan Doctor always claims I still have my old printer, I’d like to do a complete uninstall and install again. However, since I can’t uninstall from Programs and Features, I need an uninstall program from HP. I’m pretty sure this exists and that I’ve used it in the years of uninstalling and reinstalling of my last 2 printers. How do I contact them?

Tried that link and it only gives Virtual Agent, which is rubbish,  Community forum and phone call. Is there no email option? Ive already spent half a day on the phone once trying to stop the shutting off, which involved using USB instead of WiFi and uninstalling and installing and this stopped the problem, but it’s back and now I can’t uninstall correctly

HP Recommended

You can do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.)  Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I’ve already explained at least twice that there are no HP products whatsoever in Programs and Features so can’t do this. It’s already disturbing that the printer works with no installation showing in Programs and Features

HP Recommended

Since it keeps turning off, this is a hardware issue. Uninstalling and reinstalling the software is not a solution to this issue.

We shall escalate this case.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I think it might have stopped turning off now. I moved the printer to a different wall socket and ran HP Smart, which was the only one of the 3 state checking programmes that previously said there was an update , and ended up with the  update message no longer shown. This was a few days ago and it’s still not turning off. However, I still don’t have an HP printer in Programmes and Features, which obviously shouldn’t be the case. That’s why I want to uninstall and have a correct installation

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.