Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'd like to change the default settings for printing to draft and grayscale. Is there anyway to do that so one does not have to remember to make the changes for every page printed?

Using Windows XP OS.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello AllAmerican1347

If you go to the Control Panel and to Printers and Faxes you should see the printer there. Right click on the printer and go to properties. If you set the settings from there it should be the global default.

Word of advice if you want to print black ink only some printers require you to select black ink only after you choose grayscale.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59
HP Recommended

Hello AllAmerican1347

If you go to the Control Panel and to Printers and Faxes you should see the printer there. Right click on the printer and go to properties. If you set the settings from there it should be the global default.

Word of advice if you want to print black ink only some printers require you to select black ink only after you choose grayscale.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

Hello there.

I am having the same problem. I am using a 8600 plus, and Windows 7  pro 64, and I can´t change the paper size when printing in Word 2010, for example.

I can change it to letter size in the print properties, at Devices and Printers section, but when going to print, the printer preferences says A4 size.

I have tons of mailing tags to print and this incredible print just is not able to perform this simple task!

HP Recommended
Just to know. I found a workaround by reinstalling the printer driver and setting the paper size before run the office. Maybe it can help you for a urgent case, like me.
HP Recommended

Hello Eddie7

Thanks for the information. I would be interested to know if your still experiencing the problem at all (unable to change print default settings). The re-installation may have fixed the issue entirely. Of course I personally go by the philosophy if it isn't broke don't "fix it". So if it is working right now you may want to leave it alone.

Either way glad you found a way to resolve your issue. :generic:

HP Recommended

This reply is for XP. Probably will be about the same process for 7. Control panel - Open Printers - Right Click the printer icon for menu - Click on printing preferences - Click on the paper quality tab at the top - Click on the "Advanced" button at the lower right - Click the + to open documents - Click the next + to open printer features. There you  will see "print in grayscale: OFF". This is the current default setting. Place your cursor arrow on any of the words "print in grayscale" and left click it. That will open up a drop down arrow to the right of the word "OFF". Click the drop down arrow and make your choice. I chose "Black ink only". Just bought the 8600 Plus yesterday. Had to search for the way to do this. Shouldn't be so involed; but is. Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

How about if you have a Mac?  How do I change it to print black only?

HP Recommended

Hello sdrew

What version of Mac OSX are you running and is there a specific application you want to print black only in?

HP Recommended

Mac version 10.7.3  I use a different high quality high volume HP printer for my color items.  I only want to use black on this printer.  

HP Recommended

Hello sdrew

You will need to create a preset using the settings you want. It isn't all that hard simply choose the options you want and click "Save Current Settings as Preset...". After choosing the name, saving it, and printing with your new Preset the driver should default to that preset. (this will not hold true if under "Show Presets..." the option to "Default to Default Preset" is selected. Please let me know if you have any problems getting the Preset to work. I was in Safari when I took the screenshot.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.