Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pri MFP M477fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP SMART app does not start on a local user account for my child in Windows 10.  It works fine on an administrator account for me.  Please assist me.  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Techrepair 

Minor edits to the "general" statements section - Added comments in "What to do"

This is a guess - I do not have any local "User" restricted accounts on the network.

The software does require access to the Wireless network.  If the child's local account is restricted from access to your network, the software will not work.

HP Smart is an application - the Windows 10 version is downloaded and installed from the Windows Store. 

In general, "apps" are perhaps different animals that are regular programs that are installed into the Windows File System.  For example, applications live in a different part of the Windows hierarchy where they are controlled by access and permission restrictions.  Apps are generally considered "whole and not to be touched" outside of the settings provided in the application - even by the owner of the computer.

HP Smart - Help for Windows

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

Links to HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices,  includes an FAQ section

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

Applications require and make use of the Permission settings on your computer.  There is likely nothing new to see here.

App permissions

What to do?

There is a version of the printer Full Feature Software / Full Solution software available.  This might be a "better fit" for this account - the software is a downloaded software that installs in the system (Programs and Features)  like "other software" (not an application).  You would likely have more control over the program's behavior.  

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 Printer Series PCL 6 v3 Full Solution

Adobe Reader DC – Needed Whether You Use It or Not

If you have not done so,

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not open / view / print PDF files directly from the software.

Photo Printing

Programs / Software like  Paint (mspaint) can be used to print photos.  Once the basics are understood, the program is fairly easy to use and will might even work in a user restricted environment.

If you can get a hold of it, Windows Photo Viewer can view and print photos - not fancy, perhaps adequate.

How to Make Windows Photo Viewer Your Default Image Viewer on Windows 10

Windows Photos, of course, might be an option, though truthfully, I am not sure how the program would respond to a local user account.  This is another "App" from the Windows Store.

Microsoft Photos - Microsoft Store

I'd like to be more helpful.  Although I understand the File System relatively well, my knowledge of "all things" laser printers is limited; I tend to get into trouble if I try too hard to render the details.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fnw

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Merry Christmas 2019Merry Christmas 2019

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,

Thanks for reply.  But it did not resolve my problem yet.

1) Updated Firmware, 2) Updated the HP printer software, 3) Updated Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

App Permissions do not show HP Smart or HP Scan.

I do not use a network or a wireless network but a USB local printer.

When I signed in as an administrator account, I can click HP Scan or HP Smart.  When I signed in an user account while I signed in as an AA, I could not click HP Scan or HP Smart.  It made me frustrated.

I would like to see if a scan software works on the local computer for any users.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@Techrepair 

According to the documentation, HP Smart requires a connection to your network.

My experience agrees with this information.

App Permissions are relevant to applications.

HP Smart is an application installed from the Windows Store.

HP Scan is installed software.

Brief Side Step into unrelated subject - HP Scan and the Full Feature Software / Full Solution Software

Be Aware

Everything herein is offered "As is" - the information is at least relevant to InkJet Printers and may be relevant to Laser Printer software as well.

HP Scan is part of the installed Full Feature Software.

Laser printers may call the software something else, for example, Full Solution software.

Printer_Assistant_Shortcut_Icon_on_DesktopPrinter_Assistant_Shortcut_Icon_on_Desktop

Normally, in so much that I am aware, even if the printer is only connected directly to the computer via the USB printer cable, when the Full Feature Software is installed for "All Users" on the computer, there is an expectation that HP Scan will work for accounts logged into the computer.

First check:

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on Printer > Printer Properties

If necessary, select your printer from list

In Properties > Tab Security

Highlight "Everyone" 

Permission should include "Print"

Cancel to leave the Security / Properties menu

If HP Scan works for one account but not another, it is perhaps a permission issue - one that might be rectified by changing the permissions on the software.   

Observations

• Changing permissions is not normally necessary nor is it encouraged - changing the permissions might fix things or might make the situation worse. 
  • If the permissions are incorrect, it is likely an installation issue, that is, the software is not fully installed, it was incorrectly installed, or there was some sort of configuration error. 
  • Rather than changing permissions, consider:  The best option is to remove the printer software completely, restart the computer, download-save-install a fresh copy of the software, restart the computer and log in.

NOTE:  Assuming the software was installed for use by All Users, except for the verification steps - that is, up to the point where you check the information in Tab Security, none of the adjustments / edits should be necessary.

Sign into the computer using an administrator privileged account

Right-Click on the HP Scan icon on your Desktop >

Properties > Security

Check the listed accounts - there should be an entry for Users

Example Entry: Users (DragonLair\Users)

Where "DragonLair" is the name of your computer

If "Users" is missing OR you want to add an account,

Click Edit > Add

In box "Enter the object names to select"

Type in the account name to be added

Reminder:  If you need help to understand the choices, click on Examples

Click OK

Account is added to the Security menu in the Group or user names list

Example

HP_Scan_Add_Account_1HP_Scan_Add_Account_1

============================================================

Answer

In general, if you add the printer on your network, HP Smart should work.  There might be residual issues using a local computer account that lacks any privilege - the HP Smart application itself should be initially accessible and usable to the extent that the account can print.

Exit

I have exhausted what I can offer - I have, in fact, ventured into territory that is unfamiliar to me (laser printer full solution software installation, full solution software behavior, and full solution software possible issues).

It is best I step back now - another of our Experts might be able to assist you further with questions about the HP Scan Software - you may also opt to create a separate thread for the question.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Merry Christmas 2019Merry Christmas 2019

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.