Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP Smart - Cannot Display Host Name In Start Screen

HP Recommended
Doesn't Matter
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Quick: How can you display printer host name in HP Smart startup splash screen?

Detail: When HP Smart starts, any associated printers are shown. But only the official HP product name is displayed. This works when you have one each of a couple printers. In a work environment it's USELESS.

This utility started to look like a convenient way for less sophisticated users to get to features, especially scanning, on multiple units. But in my particular varying deployment, I may have anywhere from 3 to 15 printers. When HP Smart shows 5 identical "HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fnw" with no differentiators, well, that's just stupid and completely useless.

The only way to select the target printer is to step into the details for each unit until you find the convenient descriptive host name I have provided for each. Then back out, and hope you then select the correct one. Unsophisticated users, remember?

BTW: When you first associate a particular printer with the utility, it conveniently and 'HP Smart'ly displays the host name. But then does not carry that forward once the printer is registered. Color me dumb, but I have not found any way to cause hostname to be displayed in place of or in addition to product name. 

More Detail: I am using the Universal Driver in Windows 10. This quickly gets me access to the printer, but does not provide a handle to the scanner. Installing the full driver load for each printer/scanner type is a non-starter. HP Smart seemed to be the solution, apparently using the default Windows scanner driver to hit multiple types of scanners (8710, 281, 476, 477, etc) conveniently from one interface. 

So, apparently not a solution. Is there some other utility I should be using to conveniently aggregate and present this type of unit access?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,247 6,228 313 458
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ChuckV42

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Barachiel is at your service. 

I Understand you are in need of support,

And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message with the required informations,

Keep me posted,

Good Luck. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 4
101 98 6 18
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't understand:  Why did HP support send a private message with the "required information", when others could benefit from the answer?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, they did send me a private message which basically said:

1) the same thing their public message said;

2) that they forwarded my issue to the several appropriate groups supporting this app for further assistance or future enhancement;

3) it may take some time for them to respond, up to 5 days was suggested, and if I hear nothing back in that time frame to let the agent know. 

So now you know as much as I do. HP is sad. Someone(s) is looking into it. They will get back to me (how to do what was asked; can't do, good idea). They have not gotten back to me. 

This is not a big deal to me. I keeps me from using this tool in my particular environment. I consider the flaw in the tool to be one of those marketing-driven UI blunders that cripples a product. I also consider it not my job to exercise the HP support mechanism. Its important to them, or it is not. Support is a difficult equation. They have part of it figured out (know how to use the right nice words, set expectations), but the rest is sporadic. No follow through. 

Honestly, not a dumb bunny on this side of the keyboard and if the feature I wrote about exists within the app's UI, color me stubid. Apologies all around. The major goal for submitting my post was to highlight what I consider to be a flaw in the program. The theory was some marketing /product manager would see and then do.  Or explain why my use case was solved by another product and this is not where they are targeting this product. 

But, no response. Didn't really expect one. Was not depending on one. Was playing the long game. Surprise! Look what snuck into a future release. Happy if it does. if not, just disappointed missing a mostly trivial enhancement to an almost useful tool.  Thanks for listening (to someone who has too much time on his hands at this particular moment... and should have used it to ding the private message HP agent... fun to see what that would actually accomplish 🙂

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 4
101 98 6 18
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For what it's worth, I was intrigued by your question, and tried everything I could think of to get the printer name to show up on the "printer catalog" but, like you, did not find a way to do it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is why I was careful to make my "dumb bunny" status contengent upon the ability to make this change via the UI. When have some 'fun time' will maybe look at the registry, or an app specific ini file, etc.  It's somewhere. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation