Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
m451
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP m451nw suddenly stopped printing color and began to cycle (i.e., repetitive sounds).  Less than 10,00 pages on this home printer.  No error messages.  The printer is hard wired with an ethernet cable to the wireless router.  Have tried printing from a couple of different laptops (Lenovo and Dell) via the wireless router with the same result.   Did the standard things like reloading drivers, etc.  No luck.  The cycling I mentioned sounds like the paper feed rollers spinning, but it makes the same sound whether the paper source is the tray or the manual feel.  After a number of cycles (varies, but around 20) paper is finally fed through the printer (from whichever paper source was selected), and it prints the page--but only in black and white (or grayscale).  It does the same thing when I try to print a demo page using the controls on the printer. Have checked to ensure that color is the default print mode.   Plenty of toner left in all cartridges.  Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I'll be shopping for another color laser.  This is the 3rd HP color laser that has died in the past 5-6 years.  Might be time to get a Brother.  Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Do you get the same behaviour if you try to print something from the onboard menus such as the supplies status? If yes then likely the pickup roller is dirty or worn.  Remove the tray and look at the upper back of the tray cavity to see the condition on the pickup roller. You will only see part of it as faces backwards at rest but it should be clean and have finger print like ridges on it.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your reply.  Thank you.  The problem does occur both when I send a print job from my computer and when I try to print from the onboard menus.  I did check the pinch roller previously and it looks okay.  I cleaned it with alcohol and denatured water after reading your reply.  There was no noticeable residue on the cloth; it seemed to be pretty clean.  The printer now has completely stopped printing.  When a print job is initiated, it cycles endlessly.  The cycling begins with a whirring noise--like something spinning.  After a couple of seconds, there is a sharp click, then a moment of silence before the printer starts whirring again.  This happens both when paper is supposed to be fed from the tray and the manual feed.  Previously, the printer would, after about 20 cycles, make the usual sound of paper being grabbed by the pinch roller and going through the print path.  Now it just cycles and nothing is printed.

HP Recommended

I have seen this type of behaviour with a bad fuser as the unit cycles trying to get the fuser to temperature. However I would expect it to throw an error after a few attempts with a low temperature warning. I would try a factory reset and as always ensure you are plugged directly into the wall and not in a surge protector. Are these OEM or 3rd party cartridges? Unit could also be having problems calibrating, but again I would expect an error but I am not 100% convinced the error detecting system on the Pro series printers is accurate.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply and for working with me on this.  To answer your question regarding the toner cartridges, they are all HP OEM units, and all relatively new (>70% remaining).  I did a factory reset with no improvement and then ran the calibration procedure.  The printer stopped midway and began displaying error code 59.C0, which I understand indicates a developer motor problem.  I tried reinstalling the toner cartridges one-by-one as suggested on some boards, but the problem persisted.  I then removed the right cover and powered up the printer.  The two motors spin well during the boot process and when I attempt to print a demo page using the printer display panel, the developer motor spins up first, followed by the other motor, then both shut down (not at the same time).  This cycle of starting and stopping continues on and on, with nothing being printed.  I disconnected and re-seated all the motor connections to the PCAs, again with no luck.  At this point, I have conceded defeat and purchased a new HP m255dw yesterday.  Given the cost of possible replacement parts such as a new fuser or PCA, it didn't make sense to attempt to repair the old printer.  I am rather unhappy that it failed after less than 5 years of light service and also that the toner cartridges are still pretty full and will now be discarded as e-waste, but--oh well...

Again thank you for your helpful suggestions.

HP Recommended

It's a so called "Sticky Solenoid" problem and it's a hardware problem and has nothing to do with software or firmware.

If you want to fix it yourself check here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/CP2025-quot-Sticky-Solenoid-quot/m-p/7450718#M386842

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Color-LaserJet-CP2025-looping-during-start-of-printi...

HP Recommended

Thank you for your message.  I actually saw the various threads on the "sticky solenoid" problem yesterday, but this was after I purchased the new printer.   The symptoms appear very similar, and I will probably try to confirm if this component is to blame later when I have some time to disassemble and play with the old printer.  The suggested fixes (electrical or other tape or small bits of paper) seem like they may not endure for very long, but who knows?  Again, thanks.

HP Recommended

Don't doubt, i'v been fixed hundreds (or thousands) of printers through past 20+ years, almost no one needed to come back again for another treatment with sticky solenoid.

Yes, i used electrical tape at first but i use V-shape paper now for it's much more easier and effective.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.