Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
macOS 10.14 Mojave

This only started happening when my ISP replace my router. I never had to select my network before, the printer automatically woke when printing a document and there were never any print failures. Now the print queue comes up with a message that its looking for the printer but does not find it.  

My Mac is connected by ethernet cable to the router, I have both wiFI Direct and Wireless turned on. If I turn off the printer and turn it back on, it will sometimes print the queue but not always. And, the router frequently loses internet connection, seemingly at random. I have a DSL connection thru the household copper phone wire (no active phones).

Any suggestions for trouble shooting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you have a new router there is a good chance it is a dual band 5 and 2.4 Ghz router. While the M428 features 5Ghz connectivity, it was based on older standards that are supposed to be compatible with the newer standards but that compatibility is suspect. The first thing I would try in your shoes would be to program a different SSID for the 2.4Ghz channel of your router and only let the printer connect to that 2.4Ghz channel. Also be sure to upgrade your firmware as there is a new revision with fixes for network issues that was released a few days ago.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If you have a new router there is a good chance it is a dual band 5 and 2.4 Ghz router. While the M428 features 5Ghz connectivity, it was based on older standards that are supposed to be compatible with the newer standards but that compatibility is suspect. The first thing I would try in your shoes would be to program a different SSID for the 2.4Ghz channel of your router and only let the printer connect to that 2.4Ghz channel. Also be sure to upgrade your firmware as there is a new revision with fixes for network issues that was released a few days ago.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for reply!!   Updated firmware and reset network settings, appears to work now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.