Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Dell Inspiron 3668 Desktop Computer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My old cartridge gives faint printouts and there are ½ inch wide vertical smudges at both long edges of the paper.  So, I bought a brand new cartridge model 35A and CB435A.  The new cartridge wouldn’t print a test page, although the print job does get to the print queue.  So, I reinstalled the old cartridge, which does print both a test page and emails from the Internet.  Finally, I reinstalled the new cartridge and get the same result as the first time.  What can I do to get print jobs to print using the new cartridge?  

My Dell Inspiron 3668 desktop computer runs Windows 10 Home, version 1909, which was installed on 7/14/19, a Feature Update installed on 11/19/2019, and a Quality Update installed on 1/15/20. The OS build is 18363.592                                                                                                        

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

With the new toner cartridge inserted, the printer does go to state Ready with the green light On.  Also, I downloaded and installed  the following driver, which I assume is the same as firmware.  (Please correct me if I’m wrong.)  I got the driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-p1006-printer/3435682?ssfFlag=true&sku=.  The new toner cartridge still doesn’t work, so I requested a refund or replacement from the seller.  Thank you!

HP LaserJet P1000-P1500 Hostbased Plug and Play Basic Driver

3.9 MB

May 24, 2013

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Use the following steps both with the old toner and with the new toner later.

When printer turned ON in state Ready, and paper loaded open and close top toner access door 5 times. That will make the printer to print a single sheet ( engine test page) with horizontal lines.

Insert a new toner cartridge and try again will it print an engine test page.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Using the suggested procedure, the old cartridge does print a single sheet with horizontal lines 1/16th inch apart (engine test page).  With the new toner cartridge I got no engine test page, although the printer queue indicated “printing”.  I repeated all this several times.  What other test can I try?  Thank you in advance!

HP Recommended

When the new toner is inserted printer goes to state Ready with green light On? I would contact toner seller and ask for a new toner cartridge. Definitely there is something toner related. Eventually, you can check for printer firmware upgrade maybe there is some fix in firmware, but it smells like a toner to me.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

With the new toner cartridge inserted, the printer does go to state Ready with the green light On.  Also, I downloaded and installed  the following driver, which I assume is the same as firmware.  (Please correct me if I’m wrong.)  I got the driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-p1006-printer/3435682?ssfFlag=true&sku=.  The new toner cartridge still doesn’t work, so I requested a refund or replacement from the seller.  Thank you!

HP LaserJet P1000-P1500 Hostbased Plug and Play Basic Driver

3.9 MB

May 24, 2013

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.