Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I found a solution that worked for me so I thought I would share it. 

Open up your Control Panel and select Device Manager. 

Double click on Printers and if you see Photosmart 7520 Devices in this list uninstall them

After that, add your printer, microsoft search the Photosmart 7520 device

and the failed updates should stop (at least this worked for me).

HP Recommended

Thank you ! it worked! I was so sick of seeing the notification on my desktop.

HP Recommended

Thanks Stargazer.  It worked for me too. I was wondering what the 2 unknown printers were doing there.

HP Recommended

Uninstalled all HP printers (duplicate instances of printer and fax), reinstalled one printer/scanner/fax, ran system scan, which found and corrected corrupted files, tried to download and install updates, same problem. Anyone got any other suggestions. The most annoying thing is that the update is from November 2009, so it is clearly way out-of-date, but there is no option to choose to ignore it, as there was in previous versions of Windows.

HP Recommended

Try the the solution above. I have windows 10 and this solution worked for me.

Just right click on the Start button in the bottom right of the screen, then choose Devise Manager.  Find and Click Printers. If there are any "unknown(s)" found under Printers, right click on them and uninstall.  I hope this is helpful to you and anyone that finds this solution.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but like I said, I have already done that, and it didn't work. I am still getting the two updates failing every time I check for updates. Can anyone from HP help, please. I am on a metred connection, and every failed update uses up more bandwidth.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  This worked perfectly!!

HP Recommended

Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP

is not a MSFT problem, but a HP problem = the file from HP is not digitally signed

"in Device Mananger, 

select Printers

select printer to manually update

select Update Driver Software

select "Search automatically for updated driver software"

= Error:

The driver cannot be installed because it is either not digitally signed or not signed in the appropriate manner.  Contact your hardware vendor.

HP Recommended

Thanks Stargazer---this worked

HP Recommended

My only problem is that I no longer have the HP printer and have been getting this stupid update for some time and can't get rid of it.  I tried to go ahead and install it in order to uninstall it and it won't let me do that either. I have a Brother printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.